how to conect topserver over xfce

lt72884

how to conect topserver over xfce

#1 Post by lt72884 »

Ok, so i am used to gnome where you can go to file>connect to server, then input the domain name, port number etc and have a remote directory show up under network. But i cant seem to find this same option under the default desktop environment of MX linux.

I am testing out to see if i can do most stuff without command line to see if i can use it as a windows replacment for a win10 user.

thanks

lt72884

Re: how to conect topserver over xfce

#2 Post by lt72884 »

ok, i installed gnome, and under file, there is no connect to server. that must be an ubuntu thing which is awesome. In order for me to replace win10, i need this feature. Right now i am using sftpNetdrive for win10, but my ubuntu box uses the method i mentioned before. I think it is a natalus file manager thing that allows this:)

except for a password i use anras key

timkb4cq
Developer

#3 Post by timkb4cq »

Nautilus is easily installed in MX, you don't need to use Gnome to use Nautilus and Connect To Server in nautilus works fine.

You can create a Custom Action in Thunar to an FTP program like Filezilla very easily.

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/filezilla -a=%d
as a custom action (assuming you have Filezilla installed) will open Filezilla with the local pane pointing to the folder the selected file is in, and bookmarks for your servers (no retyping connection details!) are easy to set in Filezilla. There's also an icon to connect to last server used which is handy.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

lt72884

#4 Post by lt72884 »

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking of using a clien tsuch as filezilla, but i am curious to know how to connect to it from the URL bar in the file manager as well:)

I tried to add my private key to the autostartup in settings with the following command:

ssh-add /home/user/documents/server stuff/cloud9_pri.ppk

But when i try to use sftp://username@domain.com:8022

i get a access is denied. I check server logs and it shows it connects but something is not authenticating correctly.

thanks

EDIT:
for testing purposes, i did try filezill and it connects just fine using my key

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”