Dedo reviews Xfce apps

Jerry3904
Administrator

Dedo reviews Xfce apps

#1 Post by Jerry3904 »

Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Stevo
Developer

Re: Dedo reviews Xfce apps

#2 Post by Stevo »

Looks like we confused him about Featherpad and Qpdfview being associated with XFCE, though.

Moltke

#3 Post by Moltke »

Sometimes this guy writes some nice pieces of work, this isn't one of those. XFCE is what it is; you like it or hate it, but you don't whine about the lacking of some KDE or Gnome feature, if you do want/need those features then by all means use one of those DEs. I've been a XFCE user for quite a long time now and I tried several DEs as well and always get to the same conclusion; XFCE is the best. Sure, I like some of the KDE and Gnome features, who doesn't? but I also find them kind of overwhelming; too many menus and sub-menus which point to more stuff...it's tiresome. I'd rather use TDE; lightweight and easier to use than KDE and Gnome. Although, now that I think of it, I don't remember last time I used Gnome but I recently tried KaOS in a VM and that one ships with KDE. This guy wants a "prettier" XFCE then he should write the devs and ask them to contribute with them coding and assembling the whole thing so it looks the way he wants it to.
If you think about it, Xfce is the closest thing to the Windows desktop.
This statement is nonsense, I've never ever considered XFCE near any close to the windows desktop whatsoever, that would be a Windows user's dream! In fact, TDE does, it resembles a lot old Windows XP desktop. I think when he wrote this he didn't have anything else to write about, he was sitting there, looking at XFCE and thought "why aren't you a little bit like KDE or Gnome? Prettier and bloated, huh? Overwhelming, tiresome and confusing, but still prettier?" Don't get me wrong people, I like reading Deido's reviews and articles but...
Without each other's help there ain't no hope for us :happy:

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

I agree, he is a bit confused between a DE and apps that run on it. I wrote that in his commentary. But I do think Xfce Devs themselves have muddied the waters with various apps that they have let languish.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

richb
Administrator

#5 Post by richb »

I do not think he was "dissing" XFCE. His point was that KDE and Gnome have many of their own developed apps which is an ecosystem if you will. XFCE does not. I do not think anyone can argue with that. You can have different opinions whether that is good or bad. I thought it was a pretty good thought provoking article.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Artim

#6 Post by Artim »

Jerry3904 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:02 pm ... I do think Xfce Devs themselves have muddied the waters with various apps that they have let languish.
Midori used to be an Xfce project, didn't it? Did they have an e-mail client too? Other than Thunar and "Xfce-goodies," I'm not aware of any Xfce apps at all.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#7 Post by Jerry3904 »

He talks about Midori, but I have never heard of an email client. Others include those that he mentions: ristretto, parole, etc.

Moltke

#8 Post by Moltke »

Jerry3904 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:02 pm I agree, he is a bit confused between a DE and apps that run on it. I wrote that in his commentary. But I do think Xfce Devs themselves have muddied the waters with various apps that they have let languish.
I think you're right. Also, he didn't mention some important apps like catfish which is great, appfinder, xfce-panel, settings manager, task manager. I might get why he left some of those out but catfish is portable meaning you can install it in other DEs like lxde for example and so is task manager.
richb wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:07 pm I do not think he was "dissing" XFCE. His point was that KDE and Gnome have many of their own developed apps which is an ecosystem if you will. XFCE does not. I do not think anyone can argue with that. You can have different opinions whether that is good or bad. I thought it was a pretty good thought provoking article.
You might be right but in my opinion he fails to accomplish that.
Without each other's help there ain't no hope for us :happy:

Richard

#9 Post by Richard »

Trying out Midori 7 from MXPI.
It is quick.
Probably for my resource challenged internet connection.
Just need to figure out where all the tweaks are.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

manyroads

#10 Post by manyroads »

Regarding the xfce ecos I do believe Sean M Davis is attempt to reign in some apps. He has posted a number of clues and statements to that effect. But clearly, never be anythin like the dependency laced ecos of other DEs.
Some are here: https://bluesabre.org/tag/xfce/
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”