MX-18 (w/ lightdm) log in as user fails

fehlix
Developer

Re: MX-18 (w/ lightdm) log in as user fails

#11 Post by fehlix »

Belham wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:47 pm P.S. Fehlix, can't get the MX-Linux install-OS recognized on the NUC whether it's on a DD-ed USB or burned ISO to disk. ... Re: the UEFI---on recent NUCs are 64-bit only, will look though.
@Belham, let me come back to the two points above:
- Can you boot any other Linux ISO with the NUC in UEFI-mode, so that you can see the GRUB-boot menu? And can you
open the GRUB command line (press C) and type the echo commnad: "echo $grub_cpu" ?
And
- Would you let me know which MX-18 iso you tried to boot from. Is it the MX-18_x64.iso (original release)
or the MX-18-January_x64.iso (the January Snapshot).
If the later, we might have spotted a UEFI-boot show stopper for booting in some UEFI systems. And I might provide a quick fix, if needed.

Thanks a lot
fehlix
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Belham

#12 Post by Belham »

@Fehlix,

For NUC8i5, all Ubuntu(s) I've tried (Ubuntu 18.04 & above, Kubuntu, etc, etc) boot using their ISO dd-ed to a USB. LinuxMint too. Also Fedora. All install quickly and with no problems I've encountered.

But, using the MX-18_x64.iso dd-ed to the exact same USB stick used for the above, it will not boot (or be recognized) by the NUC. Just dead black screen & nothing happens, no recognition by the NUC that something is on the USB stick.

echo $grub_cpu = i386.

What are the MX-Linux team's environment space (variables) when a user is booting an MX-18 Continuum ISO to install it to an either UEFI-based and/or legacy-bios machine?

It sure would be great to be able to do a fresh, clean install of MX-18 Cont. to a partition on the NVME drive in this NUC. The NVME is blindingly fast. I was able to get a fudged (frugal-like) version of MX-18 running by manually doing some things to a full-installed MX-18 on a SSD (from another machine, and plugged into the NUC via USB 3.0) and then afterwards copying stuff over, but there are (obviously) problems with this.

Anyway, hope things get sorted. Presently trying to get a few of my Pups I Woof-CE built to run on this NUC frugally ;)

Belham

#13 Post by Belham »

Hi again, Fehlix,

[UPDATE to the above]

Found the problem: Intel BIOS-related. MX-Linux_x64.iso boots like a champ now. i imagine even the snapshots will (will try that later). Almost wishing I'd never bought this NUC.....among the many problems (like this one) incredibly it seems near impossible to get a USB External DVD Writer/Reader to be recognized, no matter how many settings are reset in BIOS.

Intel almost seems worse with these NUC releases than MSFT was in the early years before we finally got to WinXP after all the unpolished and immature releases.

fehlix
Developer

#14 Post by fehlix »

Belham wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:53 am Found the problem: Intel BIOS-related. MX-Linux_x64.iso boots like a champ now.
Cool. :number1: Would you mind to describe, how you fixed it with the NUC's BIOS?
This would certainly also help other NUC's user facing the same issue. Thanks a lot!
Is this now booting in UEFI-mode or in legacy-bios mode, or in both?
Belham wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:53 am .. i imagine even the snapshots will (will try that later). ..
The snapshot from MX-18_January_x64.iso might have an issue in UEFI-mode,
which we discovered recently and which is now fixed within the MX Snapshot tool.
You can manual "fix" the MX-18_January_x64.iso or any other snapshot,with this command

Code: Select all

isohybrid --uefi MX-18_January_x64.iso
Thanks
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”