Browsers

devva231

Browsers

#1 Post by devva231 »

Has anyone compiled a full list of browsers that work with MX Linux? I'm hoping on getting MX installed soon, and will definitely want to be rid of Firefox, so need to start looking for replacements. Wanted to ask here first, as no reason to do again what has already been done. Once I can see just what browsers are doable, I can research which are working with Flash or H264.

wulf

Re: Browsers

#2 Post by wulf »

devva231 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:13 pm Has anyone compiled a full list of browsers that work with MX Linux? I'm hoping on getting MX installed soon, and will definitely want to be rid of Firefox, so need to start looking for replacements. Wanted to ask here first, as no reason to do again what has already been done. Once I can see just what browsers are doable, I can research which are working with Flash or H264.
Well, there are ten browsers listed under popular apps in the MX package installer, but I figure you probably know that anyway. The most comprehensive list I've come across is here >
https://www.slant.co/topics/4281/~web-b ... -for-linux
Although I've not tried most of them, so I can't say how compatible some might or might not be with MX. It's a good read anyhow.

devva231

#3 Post by devva231 »

wulf wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:47 pm
devva231 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:13 pm Has anyone compiled a full list of browsers that work with MX Linux? I'm hoping on getting MX installed soon, and will definitely want to be rid of Firefox, so need to start looking for replacements. Wanted to ask here first, as no reason to do again what has already been done. Once I can see just what browsers are doable, I can research which are working with Flash or H264.
Well, there are ten browsers listed under popular apps in the MX package installer, but I figure you probably know that anyway. The most comprehensive list I've come across is here >
Although I've not tried most of them, so I can't say how compatible some might or might not be with MX. It's a good read anyhow.
Thanks for the link. I had a feeling the package installer was not listing everything. I'll research Vivaldi, Brave, Waterfox, Ungoogled Chrome, and Iridium ....for debian compatibility, and to make sure Flash or H264 is included.

Gerson

#4 Post by Gerson »

I deleted Firefox that comes by default with the ISO; in return I placed Slimjet as the default and I have Vivaldi and Brave as alternatives, the three of them work perfectly with MX.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

Pierre

#5 Post by Pierre »

wulf wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:47 pm Well, there are ten browsers listed under popular apps in the MX package installer, but I figure you probably know that anyway. The most comprehensive list I've come across is here >
and I'd almost agree with the order that they are listed in ..
:bagoverhead:
what's wrong with FF anyway :p using that everywhere.

zorzi

#6 Post by zorzi »

I removed default Firefox to switch to Firefox ESR from debian repo.

cyrilus31

#7 Post by cyrilus31 »

zorzi wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:01 am I removed default Firefox to switch to Firefox ESR from debian repo.
What's the interest for ESR over "normal" version right now?
I usually use Palemoon, Slimjet or Vivaldi. They're all quite good.

zorzi

#8 Post by zorzi »

cyrilus31 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:13 am
zorzi wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:01 am I removed default Firefox to switch to Firefox ESR from debian repo.
What's the interest for ESR over "normal" version right now?
I usually use Palemoon, Slimjet or Vivaldi. They're all quite good.
The ESR version is more stable. It's a frozen Firefox 60 version, but receives security updates. May be useful when some Firefox features are suddenly removed (like RSS feed on Firefox 64).

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

Pierre

#9 Post by Pierre »

the other issue, is that some Browsers are now based on the Chromium Browser Base,
and there is some concern, that Goooogle may interfere with that base,
& as such, some OPs add-ons may stop working.

wulf

#10 Post by wulf »

Pierre wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:54 am
wulf wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:47 pm Well, there are ten browsers listed under popular apps in the MX package installer, but I figure you probably know that anyway. The most comprehensive list I've come across is here >
and I'd almost agree with the order that they are listed in ..
:bagoverhead:
what's wrong with FF anyway :p using that everywhere.
I was a big fan of Firefox for more years than I care to remember. Each to their own, of course, but the way it's been steered over the last couple of years doesn't appeal to me anymore. I started using Waterfox when it was first released, and ran it along side Firefox. There is a steady divergence of ways between the two and I found Waterfox more to my liking, and that spelled the end of my use of Firefox. I always had, and still do have, an avid interest in innovation, but I don't have the desire for the "latest and greatest" anymore. Maybe I'm a tad pessimistic at heart. I look at social media and the way the internet has changed over the years, and I tend to take all the negatives rather than embracing many of the positives. I guess I've reached that age where I'm content to saunter along at a steady pace whilst the world hurtles by, and do what I can to avoid a slap on the head as it passes :)

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”