Browsers

philotux

Re: Browsers

#21 Post by philotux »

Stevo wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:14 pm Firefox and firefox-esr from our repos both install a /usr/bin/firefox symlink, so I think they would definitely conflict. But a local install of the firefox-esr binary from Mozilla should work.
Thanks for the heads-up and the info!
Last edited by philotux on Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

beardedgeek72

#22 Post by beardedgeek72 »

Honestly... I don't see the point of Firefox forks.

Pale Moon (and the new one from the same guy,whatever it's name is): Slower, less secure, uglier.
Waterfox: Identical to Firefox except a few default settings (you can still set on Firefox), and slower security updates. Not slower, at least, unlike PM.

Now, for the other side of the fence... Slimjet is... interesting, but without a sync function it's a no go.

Artim

#23 Post by Artim »

Seamonkey is very Firefoxy-like, and also includes a very Thunderbirdish-like email client. Despite being a whole "Internet suite," it has thousands fewer lines of code than Firefox! It's my go-to browser. I'm quite fond of Waterfox too.

Eggnog

#24 Post by Eggnog »

beardedgeek72 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:07 pm
Now, for the other side of the fence... Slimjet is... interesting, but without a sync function it's a no go.
I've just started getting interested in Slimjet, as well. It appears Slimjet does have a sync function. It syncs through your Google account like Chrome, I believe. If you don't have a Google account, then it probably won't sync. It also uses Chrome extensions. It's like having a better Chrome, but less invasive. Pretty fast, too, from my experience so far.

Gerson

#25 Post by Gerson »

@Captain Brillo
From this link you can download the .deb package you want to use, beta version, development version or stable version, I have it in MX and it works perfect.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

zorzi

#26 Post by zorzi »

philotux wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:54 pm
Stevo wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:14 pm Firefox and firefox-esr from our repos both install a /usr/bin/firefox symlink, so I think they would definitely conflict. But a local install of the firefox-esr binary from Mozilla should work.
Thanks for the heads-up and the info!
I did not notice any conflicts nor troubles.

beardedgeek72

#27 Post by beardedgeek72 »

Eggnog wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:59 am
beardedgeek72 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:07 pm
I've just started getting interested in Slimjet, as well. It appears Slimjet does have a sync function. It syncs through your Google account like Chrome, I believe. If you don't have a Google account, then it probably won't sync. It also uses Chrome extensions. It's like having a better Chrome, but less invasive. Pretty fast, too, from my experience so far.
Oh it DOES synk thru Google? Then I will try it. I tried to find our on their homepage, but no luck.

Edit: Installed it and is now running for the weekend. Uses about 200MB less than FF, 300MB less than Chromium, and seems faster than Firefox at least.

WoodLark

#28 Post by WoodLark »

I had been using Pale Moon until recently then my bank started refusing to let me log in because Pale Moon was "not secure". I am now using Vivaldi. It has a few quirks that I don't care for, but mostly I like it.

I stopped using Firefox a while back because I did not like the user interface in the recent versions.

Eggnog

#29 Post by Eggnog »

I keep thinking I'm going to move away from Firefox, but I never do. I play with Vivaldi but lately it's not letting me watch Netflix or Amazon Prime so I shelved it. I like Slimjet, too, but I always seem to come back to good old Firefox. Been using it since it was called Phoenix (IIRC) back in the day. It's like a comfortable old shirt.

Eggnog

#30 Post by Eggnog »

Well, I think I've given up on using Firefox as an everyday primary browser, at least for the foreseeable future. I'll keep it as a backup. The latest update has some pages rendering oddly, which is quite annoying. Not only that, the sync function got all borked and decided to rearrange things on its own. Luckily I really like Slimjet, so I'm using that as a primary. I wish Vivaldi would do a better job with Netflix and Amazon Prime, but whatever. I don't know why it has such problems.

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”