File selection is weird

P5music

File selection is weird

#1 Post by P5music »

Hello,
I am new to the forum.
I am using MX Linux 18 and I find it very interesting.
I like the behaviour of Thunar when it shows files with a sort of web link. I think it should open the file clicking the link but it should just select it when clicking on the remaining part.
Furthermore I see a strange behaviour because in various situations a single click is enough to open the file when it is in the first position of the list, while double click is necessary when it is not in the first position.
Various applications have other behaviours, if I am not wrong, when it comes to selecting files.
Will the behaviour be normalized everywhere?

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: File selection is weird

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Welcome to the Forum.
Will the behaviour be normalized everywhere?
I'm not quite sure what you mean with this question, sorry. We have little control over Thunar in general, since it is an integral part of Xfce4 itself. You can switch to a double click if you want: Thunar > Edit > Preferences, uncheck Single click.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

You can also set the click behavior in MX Tweak.

P5music

#4 Post by P5music »

Example:
when I want to upload files in Firefox or Chrome and I have to explore folders, I see that when I click once the first file or folder in the list it is opened while if it is not on top of the list I have to click two times.
Similar behaviour when saving files and so on. It is very confusive.
It is the first time I see such a thing.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#5 Post by Jerry3904 »

I don't follow that, but you can change the behavior as we have indicated.
Have you used an Xfce-based distro before?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

P5music

#6 Post by P5music »

I have used XFCE distros but for short time. So I cannot say the bug is not present nowadays on other distros.
I think that (when uploading files in browser):
-click if file/folder is on top of the list -> open
-click if file/folder is not on top of the list ->select
is not good, it is a bug, if it stays I cannot use MX Linux. Is it not possible to fix?

sunrat

#7 Post by sunrat »

The file select dialog for Firefox or Chrome is not the same as Thunar. But I don't think I've ever seen different behaviour depending on where the file is located on the list. Weird.

fehlix
Developer

#8 Post by fehlix »

P5music wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:56 pm Example:
when I want to upload files in Firefox or Chrome and I have to explore folders, I see that when I click once the first file or folder in the list it is opened while if it is not on top of the list I have to click two times.
Similar behaviour when saving files and so on. It is very confusive.
In the file-chooser dialog the browser is using, if the first file in the list is already
marked/preselected - clearly visble as marked/selected - hence you need only click once
to open/choose this file. All others you need to selected first and either click again to open
or click on the field "Open".
As Sunrat already mentioned, the file-chooser dialog has nothing todo with Thunar file-manager.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

P5music

#9 Post by P5music »

Ok, I said about thunar too but now I am talking about browser file selection. I have changed Thunar settings and now only double click is for opening files on my system. Thunar has other strangeness because of this but it's not for this thread (try to select multiple files and drag and drop with CTRL key pressed so to copy files, the file you click on to start drag and drop is not dragged).
Now, about file selection in browsers, I see what you say is normal, that is, selection is active on the first element of the list so a single click is enough to select, so I have to think about this every time a swiftly have to go deep in a folder hierarchy.
Is it normal in XFCE? Ok, I see. It's not for me.
Thank
Last edited by P5music on Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost67

#10 Post by Ghost67 »

I'm not clear quite what the problem is here. Perhaps some screenshots or a short video would illustrate P5music's problem?
Certainly once 'single click' file opening has been disabled in thunar and on the desktop I see no difference at all selecting and opening files in MX when compared to any other desktop environment or operating system.

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”