Adding more colors to terminal

egy

Adding more colors to terminal

#1 Post by egy »

Greetings wonderful forum,

First post here! I am so far impressed with MX linux from only live demonstration (writing from it now!). I must say this is indeed an elegant mix of everything good. It's lightweight also, so that's a huge plus for me.

Quick question: I've completely uninstalled Lubuntu because my eyes weren't at ease with the terminal colors. The Xfce4 terminal colors almost look the same: bold and solid, with less degrees of colors. Is there a theme of some sort to "add more colors" to my terminal ? I've tried installing terminator, but it's still the same.

Kind Regards.

P.S: I am indeed thanksful to the developers and (active) maintainers :hug:. Fascinating mix!

richb
Administrator

Re: Adding more colors to terminal

#2 Post by richb »

Right click in a terminal window and click Preferences then on the "colors" tab. You can adjust element colors and there are predefined color presets..
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

BitJam
Developer

#3 Post by BitJam »

MX is more GUI oriented than terminal oriented. But our sister distro, antiX, has a lot of terminal support. I use the urxvt terminal emulator. It has great support for customizing the ANSI escape sequence colors. For example here are the colors displayed by the "ansi-colors" program in a standard terminal emulator:
terminal-colors.png
Here is the same output in a uxrvt terminal emulator using the "sorbet" color scheme:
urxvt-colors.png
This is very easy to set up with rxvt-unicode Debian package and the urxvt-style program from antiX (I don't know which package it is in). To test the sorbet color scheme just run:

Code: Select all

urxvt-style sorbet
in your current terminal emulator. This will launch a new urxvt window with the sorbet color scheme. If you like what you see then run:

Code: Select all

urxvt-style sorbet save
which will do the same and also save the color scheme in your .Xresources file. There are many other options as well such as enabling tabs and changing the font size.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

Hi stranger, good to *see* you.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”