An useful semantic file launcher. Synapse

oops

An useful semantic file launcher. Synapse

#1 Post by oops »

Hello,
Just to share.
I have just tried synapse today from MX17 repository, with Virgilio theme, and it is very useful for me (Unity like into XFCE)

semantic file launcher. ... Synapse is a graphical launcher enabling you to start applications and also to quickly find and access relevant documents and files
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

Laurentius

Re: An useful semantic file launcher. Synapse

#2 Post by Laurentius »

Great point! You have read my mind. I have been looking for a file search-launcher like unity's or the gnome search (and nautilus), and synapse is what gets closer to that! Thanks for pointing to it.
However, it doesn't work well with all files. There are some files shown on the list which does not launch, but at least it does show and open the folder where it is.

One of the features that I like most on gnome (and its other shell, unity) is how it allows to find and launch files easy and fast. On nautilus, you don't even need to press Ctrl+F, you just write the chain to search for.
By the way, is there a way to get nautilus working like that on MX, without installing too many gnome stuff and spoiling the system?

oops

#3 Post by oops »

Laurentius wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:40 pm...
However, it doesn't work well with all files. There are some files shown on the list which does not launch, but at least it does show and open the folder where it is.
Hello Laurentuis
Yes I also pointed this minor issue ... hope this can be resolved in future version of synapse.
But this software still very useful, and fast.

Edit: Synapse 0.2.99.4 packages into the test repos. resolves this issue.
Last edited by oops on Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

manyroads

#4 Post by manyroads »

I have used Synapse since dirt was young. I can't (and don't) live without it... ;)
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

oops

#5 Post by oops »

I think I will take the same road as you, with synapse.

oops

#6 Post by oops »

Edit: IMHO, Synapse should be installed by default into MX (xfce) - (already by default in Ubuntu Mate)

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”