Request For KDE 5.12 or latest in MX 17.1

Auro Kumar Sahoo

Request For KDE 5.12 or latest in MX 17.1

#1 Post by Auro Kumar Sahoo »

Hi,
i love MX 17.1 default xfce, but for graphics and Audio viduo I prefer KDE as its Applications like Gwenview, Kdenlive, Dolphin etc.. run more better on native KDE environment and viewing Raw files on gwenview is more smoother and productive and preview of other file types are great supported on Dolphin.
Now a days As we call MX a mid-light weight distro, KDE is also a great option, as i found KDE is taking less RAM (350-450mb) although CPU is at 1-2% in idle state and kde not only looks good but modern and becoming more stable and development is also in improving in every aspect.
I just tried Kubuntu 18.04 with minimal install and i cant belive how far kde has gone, its smooth, bright and not breaking.

I love MX and don’t want to switch merely for kde only as MX is more great functionality, stable and i can trust but if i would love to get an KDE on MX it will be great.

I know concentrating on 2 different desktop is not easy and proving that trust is more difficult, but expectations are also unlimited..

Hope i can find a solution of Using MX and its tools with KDE desktop and same trust, Simplicity, user-friendly, and Stable desktop one day or some helps please
Wallpapers for mx : https://www.flickr.com/photos/aurokumar ... 2672882131 & page2
MX help : https://mxlinux.org/manuals/

दुर्लभम् हि सदा सुखम् ||{Ramayan २-१८-१३}
To be happy always is something which is difficult to achieve.

Utopia
Administrator

Re: Request For KDE 5.12 or latest in MX 17.1

#2 Post by Utopia »

There's a thread about how to get kde 5.12: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=45040
If you have a spare installation to experiment on and like tweaking configuration files, this could be the way to go.
Henry

asqwerth
Developer

#3 Post by asqwerth »

An alternative : you could just install the KDE apps you want to use on MX, even if it pulls in a lot of other KDE related dependencies. With large storage capacities nowadays, that's not a big problem.

Kdenlive, gwenview and dolphin are all installable from the repositories, and I know quite a few of the Dev team use dolphin while running MX.

Note that the MX apps related to configuring xfce won't be of any use when running KDE plasma.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

baldyeti

#4 Post by baldyeti »

my two cents:
- Plasma 5.12 is really nice, but IMHO not spectacularly better than 5.8 - unless you have a use for encrypted folders (and other improvements, of course); 5.8 has the advantage of coming from the stretch repo and not requiring a third-party one (neptuneos)
- Having said that I have a MX17.1 install with added Plasma 5.12 without ill effects AFAICT (except for the annoyance of mime preferences being registered per user regardless of DE, but there's a nice solution to cater for that)

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”