Thunar - Camera - Very annoying missing privileges !!!

linwinux

Re: Thunar - Camera - Very annoying missing privileges !!!

#11 Post by linwinux »

Jerry3904 wrote:Huh. I went into Thunar > Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Volume Management, clicked on "Configure" link. I enabled "Auto-open files on new drives and media." I then opened the smartphone and set the USB option to "File Transfer" and now can delete images. I unchecked the option I had enabled, logged out and back in, and can still delete.

Need to try a regular camera next...yup, delete works with my little Canon as well.
That's always been "almost" the default for me. Before I always used Caja in my XFCE desktop as my default FM because it's the only one that auto-previews media files simply by hovering on them. No other FM does that and it's an awesome feature for making driving & party compilations out of our 500+ converted music CD archive. Auto-Open is the only one that I never set in Thunar, because Caja opens the camera instantly as a USB media device, just like any other USB drive.

I have played with Thunar settings, logging out, logging back in, done everything imaginable ... but Thunar in MX simply does not like my camera. About 1/3 of the time it won't recognize it at all. The other 2/3 of the time, I can use Shotwell to import, followed by removing the pics from the camera afterwards, but it's really irritating. I was hopeful for the first time in years to have only one FM to be content with in my XFCE setup, but I guess with MX I won't have a choice but to try and get Caja imported which shouldn't be a big deal.
The frustrating thing about Caja is that it's no longer a stand-along file manager, ever since Mate 1.2 was released.
So now, importing just the Caja FM also imports most of the additional Mate related apps & desktop. :frown:
Hey, here's a thought for the developers (chuckle), how about porting Caja as an additional FM for MX ... without all of the extra baggage? That would be ... :number1:

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#12 Post by dolphin_oracle »

You might check to see if I thunar you can use shift+delete to remove files from your camera. The default deleye action is "move to trash" which might not work with gphoto2 connections.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

antiX-Dave
Developer

#13 Post by antiX-Dave »

According to the gphoto webpage it mounts read only. I am not sure what version MX is using but it also notes that gphoto has newer versions that supports read / write. Perhaps it is possible to backport a newer version of gphoto?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#14 Post by dolphin_oracle »

deleting (permanent delete) works with my phone (forced into gphoto mode). The only stand-alone camera I have left apparently refuses to connect, even in usb-mass-storage mode...maybe there was a reason I stopped using it...

linwinux

#15 Post by linwinux »

Try it with the Caja file manager. ;) It took me 2 minutes to install Caja with all of its dependencies, 47MB for everything. Changed the default FM to be Caja instead, plugged in the camera, and had immediate total access just like to a usb drive. Ah well, should've done that to begin with. All the file names, especially long ones which get broken up into more than one line, usually look more attractive in Caja too. That's one of the main things that's always bothered me about Thunar ... how the file names are broken up, sometimes with only a letter or two in the middle when there are 3 lines ...
Back to being a happy camper. Thanks to everyone for the assist. :happy:

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#16 Post by dolphin_oracle »

just be aware/careful with caja. its been known to take over the desktop. check its settings and make sure its not going to manage the desktop.

Gordon Cooper

#17 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Never had any problems. Either connect camera with cable to a USB port, or more often remove card from camera and plug into the card reader. Open Thunar
and there is, a folder of pictures which I can copy, delete as with any other file. (Am a late starter on this thread, time difference means have been asleep)
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#18 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Gordon Cooper wrote:Never had any problems. Either connect camera with cable to a USB port, or more often remove card from camera and plug into the card reader. Open Thunar
and there is, a folder of pictures which I can copy, delete as with any other file. (Am a late starter on this thread, time difference means have been asleep)
card removal almost guarantee's use of mass-storage drivers rather than mtp/ptp/gphoto type fuse filesystem mounts. As such, regular file manager operations would work okey-dokey. This is what we do with my wife's SLR.

Gordon Cooper

#19 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Nearly the same results if I leave card in camera and use a usb connection - only difference being that the camera's picture folder is auto-mounted.
Advantage of removing card and using the reader is that camera battery charge is saved.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

linwinux

#20 Post by linwinux »

dolphin_oracle wrote:just be aware/careful with caja. its been known to take over the desktop. check its settings and make sure its not going to manage the desktop.
That's actually not possible, unless you log out and then somehow log back in to the Mate Desktop. My wife and I have been using Caja as our default FM for the past 7 years or so on every Debian based distro that we ever installed. Caja has never taken over anything, aside from being our default file manager. When you install Caja with all of its dependencies, you're not actually gettign the entire Mate desktop of which Caja is an integrated part. That's why I wish the developers had left it as a stand-alone application, so everyone can use it freely without pulling in 47 MB of data, of which about 3/4 or more isn't even needed. I's the only FM for Linux with instant music preview by hovering, it's the only FM that has tons of installable easy to use features while remaining fast & relatively lightweight, and it's one of the more attractive FM as well. Image manipulations with the context menu right on the fly, and super easy SSH access with bookmarks for the entire home or small office network.

I have a minimum of 3 to 4 FM windows open on my screen, every day, all day long, because I love working with office, image, music, video, and text files directly from within the FM itself ... from any of my media, regardless if it's primary, backup, USB stick, CD, or camera storage. It's (to me anyway), hands down the best FM there is and what I wish Thunar was, so I could stop having to have more than one FM in my installation of Linux. But then again, I suppose that's what Linux is all about ... freedom of choice, freedom to do whatever. (sigh)

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”