Terminal Emulator Choices

skidoo

Re: Terminal Emulator Choices

#11 Post by skidoo »

Termite. It doesn't seem possible to select any of the text output within for copying.
Hmm, same as with most other terminal emulators, even without pressing Ctrl+Shift+V,
drag-selecting some text should cause that text range to become the "primary selection".

I would expect either of the following to accomplish pasting:

1) drag-select a range of text in termite
2) focus another application window and press Ctrl+V (or right click and use the applications's context menu Paste action)
or

2) press Ctrl+Shift+V
3) focus another application window and press Ctrl+V (or right click and use the applications's context menu Paste action)

Finding either of the above to be unsuccessful, I would purge/reinstall termite and/or check whether a global (xfwm) keybind is trapping Ctrl+Shift+V

abbreviatedman

#12 Post by abbreviatedman »

asqwerth wrote:
abbreviatedman wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:If terminology isn't in the test repo, it will be shortly.
I didn't check the test repo. Haven't played around with changing sources yet, but I might just now. Thanks for the prod!
You don't have to change sources manually or via Synaptic.

OPen MX Package Installer ==> Full App Catalog tab, and choose MX Test Repo from there. MXPI will automatically disable Test Repo after you've installed whatever you want from there.
Thanks for the help on the MXPI! I didn't realize it was made with such safety and stability in mind. I love it!

I now have Terminology, but, as a true fiddler, I've decided I prefer Terminator anyway. : )
ThinkPad x220
16 GBs of RAM
120-GB SSD
Greatest Of All ThinkPads

asqwerth
Developer

#13 Post by asqwerth »

skidoo wrote:
Termite. It doesn't seem possible to select any of the text output within for copying.
Hmm, same as with most other terminal emulators, even without pressing Ctrl+Shift+V,
drag-selecting some text should cause that text range to become the "primary selection".

I would expect either of the following to accomplish pasting:

2) focus another application window and press Ctrl+V (or right click and use the applications's context menu Paste action)
or

2) press Ctrl+Shift+V
3) focus another application window and press Ctrl+V (or right click and use the applications's context menu Paste action)

Finding either of the above to be unsuccessful, I would purge/reinstall termite and/or check whether a global (xfwm) keybind is trapping Ctrl+Shift+V
I meant, selecting text output using the mouse.

Most other terminal emulators will allow you to select its displayed text output with your mouse, and then copy same with a right click. With Termite - granted I've only ever tried it in 2 Arch-based distros using Virtualbox (Archlabs and Archmerge) - I couldn't select or do anything with the mouse cursor inside the terminal window. IIRC, termite came as default with these 2 distros, as it's an unfamiliar terminal emulator to me and not something I would install on my own. In the same VMs of these 2 distros, both lxterminal and xfce4-terminal allowed me to select and copy text output.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

manyroads

#14 Post by manyroads »

I see the cut & paste as being essential... can't live without that my typing skills are too poor.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

malspa

#15 Post by malspa »

In some cases, I use the DE's default terminal emulator. I run various DEs/WMs. I like xfce4-terminal, Terminator, gnome-terminal, Konsole, and LXTerminal. And recently I've been using QTerminal with LXQt.

manyroads

#16 Post by manyroads »

Anybody figure out how-to add transparency/ opacity to sakura??? Minus the lack of transparency, it seems quite nice.

EDIT: to get background transparency use rgb background settings in sakura.conf like:

Code: Select all

colorset6_back=rgb(255, 0, 0, 0.3))
Very nice & light term.... :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

KoO

#17 Post by KoO »

Good old bloatware rxvt or xrxvt unicode with 256 color. But their is no right click menu copy & paste is done as above.. ctrl c & v
If you are feelng geeky ST simple terminal. Just wish this suckless mob would keep up to date with their own code and patches so many don't work because their code lines have changed can be painful.. Manual patching rrrrr (footprint is very small)
Main : MX 19.1-AHS (i3) 5.4.13-1~mx19+1, Asus B450-i AMD 5 3600 , 32gb Hyper-X 3200 , GTX970 . :linuxlove:
Lenovo T430 : Debian10 antiX17 (i3) , 4.20.12 , i5 , 12gb .
Lenovo X220 : Test Machine (ATM)

manyroads

#18 Post by manyroads »

I am giving 'sakura' a full test. So far it seems very nice. I, also, noticed on reddit that sakura seems to be include (somehow) on/in KDE. I don't use KDE at all, so I can't really verify that. Thus far (1 day), sakura seems fast and nicely tailorable albeit by conf file editing.
Pax vobiscum,

malspa

#19 Post by malspa »

I'm trying sakura for the first time. This is in Kubuntu 18.04 LTS ("Bionic"), logged into an Openbox session.

sakura in Bionic is at v. 3.5.0-1. In Debian Buster, it's v. 3.6.0-3.

I have compton installed here; for transparency, I simply right-clicked on the sakura window, then Options > Select colors... > adjust "Opacity level (%)".

Anyway, sakura looks good here! I haven't had to mess with the configuration file for anything yet.

manyroads

#20 Post by manyroads »

malspa wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:12 am I'm trying sakura for the first time. This is in Kubuntu 18.04 LTS ("Bionic"), logged into an Openbox session.

sakura in Bionic is at v. 3.5.0-1. In Debian Buster, it's v. 3.6.0-3.

I have compton installed here; for transparency, I simply right-clicked on the sakura window, then Options > Select colors... > adjust "Opacity level (%)".

Anyway, sakura looks good here! I haven't had to mess with the configuration file for anything yet.
Must be the difference in desktops. I'm running bspwm. :crossfingers:
Pax vobiscum,

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”