Port MX to sideload on Win10? Let the debate begin!!!

sunrat

Re: Port MX to sideload on Win10? Let the debate begin!!!

#31 Post by sunrat »

m_pav wrote: not for the plegs who only use a browser and word processor.
Maybe you mean "plebs", short for plebeian. It means common people, but can also be used in a derogatory sense, or as tongue-in-cheek.

Also the title of a hilarious BBC comedy series. ;) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2731624/
I have no love for microsoft and less trust of them than a piece of dental floss spanning the Grand Canyon as a safety line,
:happy:

dreamer

#32 Post by dreamer »

To be honest I don't assume I know better although I may come across that way. There was a little bit of built up frustration over what I perceived as Linux enforcing BIOS writes when this wasn't the case in the past. Of course there may be good reasons for this as you explain.

Thanks for clarifying. Maybe I'll buy a computer where the motherboard can't be replaced by the user. I won’t worry about this then.

I like you and the rest of the MX Linux team. Sometimes I may be direct, but that’s just impatience. Also after seeing this comment I thought that being direct is fair play. ;) I think it's just a funny comment, but a MS developer might not agree... (I like what MS has done in the past, but not anything after Windows 7).
BitJam wrote: OTOH, Microsoft could show they are not trying to bury Linux by using bloody UTC in the hardware clock like every friggin' other computer system in the world. They are either stupid or evil. Pick (at least) one.

sunrat

#33 Post by sunrat »

I always set Windows to use UTC. Problem solved!

BitJam
Developer

#34 Post by BitJam »

sunrat wrote:I always set Windows to use UTC. Problem solved!
In a different thread, one of our long-time users was having difficulty with this. Also, solving the problem for those who know the secret handshake is not the same as solving the problem for almost everyone OOTB. I don't think it is a good strategy for us to tell people that in order to run Linux, they need to change settings in Windows. It makes more sense for us to adjust things on our end even though Microsoft is causing us to jump through a lot of needless hoops.

I am not comfortable telling people how to configure Windows (and the instructions might depend on the Windows version). Funny story. A few years back I got a really fancy laptop that had Windows pre-installed. I want to run Windows to test dual booting and so on. Anyway, I go through the initial procedure of setting up an account and giving it my WIFI info. So it almost immediately does a self-update which breaks the WIFI drivers so I can no longer get to the internet because there is no RJ-45 connector. This was like 5 minutes after I first started to use it. It immediately borked itself.

So I had to call up Microsoft tech support and with their help, I download the working drivers on a different machine and used sneaker-net to get them to the new machine. Then we went through a fairly complicated and unintuitive procedure to install the drivers on the new machine. A half hour later I was up and running.

If you have a simple and robust procedure to set Windows to use UTC then perhaps we should include it in our docs. I am loathe to give people advice on configuring Windows because here it seems very breakable even if I don't do anything wrong and it literally spends more time updating itself then I spend running it. For a while on several of my machines there was a constant cycle of it taking 10 or 20 min on shutdown updating itself and then another 10 to 20 minutes updating itself on startup. I just installed a few programs like Firefox and vlc and did almost no browsing or other work in Windows. The little browsing I did was to reputable sites. If we did anything close to that here then we would be reviewed into oblivion. And rightly so. I won't tell you the horror stories I had being a Window sysadmin. TLDR: daily reboots. I switched to Linux and all the problems went away.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

m_pav
Developer

#35 Post by m_pav »

sunrat wrote:Maybe you mean "plebs", short for plebeian. It means common people, but can also be used in a derogatory sense, or as tongue-in-cheek.
Ooh, is that the word. I've only been saying and writing it wrong for the last 25 years or so. Wonder how many people I've offended :eek:
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

sunrat

#36 Post by sunrat »

BitJam wrote:
sunrat wrote:I always set Windows to use UTC. Problem solved!
If you have a simple and robust procedure to set Windows to use UTC then perhaps we should include it in our docs.
It was about 18 months ago last I did it but pretty sure I used this method: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ti ... in_Windows

I have Windows 7 and 3 Linuxii on one system, and Win 10 plus four Linuxii on the other one. It's easier to set it once in Windows than change in Linux, some of which get overwritten and reinstalled occasionally. The Windows are used very rarely so never get reinstalled.

MX<3

#37 Post by MX<3 »

m_pav wrote:
sunrat wrote:Maybe you mean "plebs", short for plebeian. It means common people, but can also be used in a derogatory sense, or as tongue-in-cheek.
Ooh, is that the word. I've only been saying and writing it wrong for the last 25 years or so. Wonder how many people I've offended :eek:

lol... I wondered if you meant 'Plebs'. Both sound as bad as each other. But I suppose almost any 'label' people are branded with, will offend them. We are complicated beings and don't fit in categories by label.

....so probably loads... lol
My Computer
MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI Motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU
2x 8GB DDR4 2666 Memory Modules
NVidia GeForce RTX 3060Ti Grfx Card
M.2 x1 @500GB HDD x1 @ 2TB

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”