Port MX to sideload on Win10? Let the debate begin!!!

Stevo
Developer

Port MX to sideload on Win10? Let the debate begin!!!

#1 Post by Stevo »

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... indows-10/

Is this good? Or MS trying to embrace and extinguish us? If all the other distros created a port and jumped off the cliff, would we be left behind if we didn't?

Edit: after some more reading, it seems that WSL is still CLI only, so we'd be little different than Debian. False alarm...

wulf

Re: Port MX to sideload on Win10? Let the debate begin!!!

#2 Post by wulf »

I found it unsettling that they bought their way into the Linux foundation with Platinum membership...I'm sure they can bring a lot to the table with the right attitudes, but it does kinda feel like the fox is inside the hen house..

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#3 Post by rokytnji.1 »

I like The
but why not use VirtualBox or some other VM for everything else non-Windows on Windows? Oracle VirtualBox supports all flavors of Linux, FreeBSD, etc. and is easy to use and very efficient.
comment.

Which recognizes a 3 card monty scam when the table is set.

Edit: Besides. What's the point?
Granted there are some issues still, like no graphical support, but hopefully that will change in the future and you can always setup a Windows X server.
Hopefully? The screw you phrase of the day is " Trust Me"

arjaybe

#4 Post by arjaybe »

Don't they just want their developers to be able to use Linux without leaving Windows?
Green Comet
Space particles.

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#5 Post by rokytnji.1 »

Or MS trying to embrace and extinguish us?
:lipsrsealed:

richb
Administrator

#6 Post by richb »

Yes rok, that was the first thought when I read the article. "Just use VirtualBox"
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Adrian
Developer

#7 Post by Adrian »

It's only CLI tools. I actually installed "Debian" on my work Windows 10 and the tools work great, you can use whatever CLI tools you need rsync, ssh, find, grep, I even used xdelta to patch a MX ISO from Windows partition, so it's very handy. However it's only CLI (AFAIK).

MX<3

#8 Post by MX<3 »

Is there any point for the regular user? Doesn't that mean Windows and Linux are running simultaneously? A lot of people running Linux, do so for a lighter system...

A lot of people running Windows 10 are Windows people. It can be used to try Linux I guess. I doubt that if a system is powerful enough for Windows 10 and being used for Windows 10, then the person is not going to be using Linux on it.

...and if the person is interested in changing or dual booting their system... the conventional ISO is what they will be doing anyway because they are computer literate and smart enough to want to use Linux... or they don't want to use Windows because their system is too slow with it.

So it must be for another reason. There is no harm in creating an MX install that works in this because it will just be there for people to try out Linux and find the one they want, without having to burn ISO Discs or create USB's.
My Computer
MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI Motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU
2x 8GB DDR4 2666 Memory Modules
NVidia GeForce RTX 3060Ti Grfx Card
M.2 x1 @500GB HDD x1 @ 2TB

Stevo
Developer

#9 Post by Stevo »

Sounded reasonable at first, but now...
suspecting-something.jpg
But how would a CLI MX have anything different than Debian?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Adrian
Developer

#10 Post by Adrian »

It would be pointless, even Debian and Ubuntu is a bit superfluous although they have slightly different version of the tools... but you can find pretty much everything you need in either.
Is there any point for the regular user?
To run CLI tools in Windows, some people cannot run Linux at work or they need to be in Windows for some reasons, it's not a bad thing, like I said I already used xdelta in Debian, I can see myself using find, grep, sed and the rest of the tools since Windows CLI tools are clunky and never learned stuff like PowerShell.

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”