Icon placement

TenderFoot

Re: Icon placement

#11 Post by TenderFoot »

Icons can be placed anywhere on the virtual grid during session(s) but will join the others after a reboot. However, out of interest, I tried setting the icon-spacing values to 0 (as suggested in my earlier post #4) and placed an icon somewhere in the middle.where it will still snap to the nearest virtual grid position - but does survive a reboot (without any immediately obvious side-effects)!
Last edited by TenderFoot on Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GraveyardDiver

#12 Post by GraveyardDiver »

chrispop99 wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:ah, playing some more, you can't get closer than the icon size and font size of the icons. so far apart = easy. closer together = hard.

That may be true, but it should also be a user preference. It's x=subjective in this case, not easy or hard.

To some people algebra = easy and to some like me, albegra = damn near impossible. :)

I dumped Facebook Microsoft Winblows and went to MeWe and Linux Mint because Willie Gates and Mark Zuckerturd kept telling me what I was supposed to like.

I suppose I can live with icons spaced an inch apart, wasting my desktop space. If not I can always ask for my money back. :)

GraveyardDiver

#13 Post by GraveyardDiver »

dolphin_oracle wrote:I guess I'm missing something. because with default settings, I can put the icons whereever they want. and they stay there between logins/logouts.

That's odd. Maybe I inadvertently changed some settings.

I move the icons where I want them but on reboot they all align to grid on the left side of the screen in nice rows and ranks. Maybe I changed something trying to learn how to use it. I've only been using MX for about a week now. But it's really great that there's an OS that is so useful that doesn't cost $150 per copy. I can live with a few inconveniences rather than pay Willie Gates $100 every year for an new version.

But I still resent that every laptop you can buy have Winblows installed on it, so basically I'm buying a license (built into the price of the computer) that i'm going to just throw away. That's how Micro$oft skews the numbers. They claim to be the most used OS in the world, and that's true if you count sales, since every laptop and pre-assembled desktop in the world is sold with Winblows. It wouldn't be true if computers came "nekid" with a DVD of several OS's like MX or Winblows or Mac and the user chose what OS to install on their new device.

TenderFoot

#14 Post by TenderFoot »

Ok - ignore my solution and pursue the philosophical dialogue.

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”