Could we get some new MESA and Wine goodness in the MX Test repos?

Stevo
Developer

Re: Could we get some new MESA and Wine goodness in the MX Test repos?

#11 Post by Stevo »

Cooked up wine-staging 3.3 myself--added SDL2, Kerberos 5, and Vulkan support to see how much smoke comes out. So far the versions in vanilla Stretch are enough to make it happy. We'll have to see about what we have in MX 15.

roadapathy

#12 Post by roadapathy »

I just chatted with a fellow Linux friend and he has been using Aura. It's a package manager but it also (or it does by default?) compiles everything from source before installing. Ummmm. If we could have that... wow. I would only ask that we could add -march=native and a choice of -O2, -O3, or -Ofast. Could you imagine that? It would make MX fast like Gentoo but without all the mess!

Oh, and to do that sort of thing, I believe we would need a whitelist. Basically, only allow those files to compile which are known to work. I use to use apt-build for Ubuntu but I found some things just unhinged themselves too badly.

roadapathy

#13 Post by roadapathy »

Stevo wrote:Cooked up wine-staging 3.3 myself--added SDL2, Kerberos 5, and Vulkan support to see how much smoke comes out. So far the versions in vanilla Stretch are enough to make it happy. We'll have to see about what we have in MX 15.
This is incredible. Thank you.

Stevo
Developer

#14 Post by Stevo »

roadapathy wrote:I just chatted with a fellow Linux friend and he has been using Aura. It's a package manager but it also (or it does by default?) compiles everything from source before installing. Ummmm. If we could have that... wow. I would only ask that we could add -march=native and a choice of -O2, -O3, or -Ofast. Could you imagine that? It would make MX fast like Gentoo but without all the mess!

Oh, and to do that sort of thing, I believe we would need a whitelist. Basically, only allow those files to compile which are known to work. I use to use apt-build for Ubuntu but I found some things just unhinged themselves too badly.
What about the packages that need 12-16 GB of RAM and 25-30 GB of hard drive space to compile, like webkitgtk2? I can't see people doing that on a inexpensive or older machine.

roadapathy

#15 Post by roadapathy »

Stevo, that's very true but the app could check for the needed space. In fact, it would have to. Ohhhh but imagine how awesome that would be! Especially since some people are choosing to use and game with Linux FOR the speed. We often argue our OS is faster, more responsive, boots faster. That would be in-line with the Linux user ethos.

roadapathy

#16 Post by roadapathy »

Oh, and if you wanted to go a step further, each file (SDL2 library, tar, X11 system files) could have their own options menu. I mean, that would be a pain but if you were a power user and wanted to see what all could be added or removed... that would be amazing. There could be an "auto" feature first though. Maybe auto, auto-safe, auto-debug, auto-nodebug (I hate debug options because I want my libraries running lean and mean, no tracing, no profiling, no debuging!), auto-performance. If no config file exists for a file- because who is going to do all of that, right? - then you could just run the build defaults and not have any options.

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”