Could we get some new MESA and Wine goodness in the MX Test repos?

roadapathy

Could we get some new MESA and Wine goodness in the MX Test repos?

#1 Post by roadapathy »

I saw that MESA is taking off. A lot of new stuff. Same with Wine. However, I don't want to mess up my Compiz!! I was wondering if you all would add it to the test MX for us! Is that possible? :-D

stsoh

Re: Could we get some new MESA and Wine goodness in the MX Test repos?

#2 Post by stsoh »

have u try latest wine 3.0? a linux newbie won't be able to figure out how to use it. i've try it (revert back to wine 2.22) which i find too complex to use. extras eg. install kconsole and set hdd/usb-stick mountings, not good for any newbies, unless u know how to handle it. if mx dev(s) team can set it as easy as wine 2.22 then by all means do it. i'm not sure about mesa, i believe the last time i did upgrade to 7.3.2 and some apps didn't work properly eg. kodi.
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon, G41M-P33 Combo (MS-7592), Pentium E5400 (2706 MHz), 8Gb RAM (984 MT/s),
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics, Realtek PCIe Fast RTL8101/2/6E, PCI Gigabit RTL8169 Ethernets.
Accepted Linux when i found MX-Linux in 2016.

m_pav
Developer

#3 Post by m_pav »

MX is based on Debian Stable, so the latest update to hit the market is not necessarily going to be chosen for inclusion. Stability comes through copious testing and refinement and in Debian terms, stable means server grade stability. We push the enevelope a bit by adding some later version packages from Debian testing, but it's a carefully calculated and thoroughly tested compromise. There are packages which have been backported for MX and Debian Stable due to their type and usefulness, e.g. OpenOffice 6, but they're typically not showstoppers if/when they have a bug because they operate in userland, are not usually critical system packages and are easily rolled back if necessary.

The latest Mesa however, being essentially a driver element that operates at a lower level than userland packages needs to be treated with a little more caution because a failure here could bork a system. That's not to say later versions of Mesa have not been pulled in to our testing repos, they have and I've used them many times, however, there is a caveat, the closer we get to upstream testing, the more likely we are to introduce bugs, therefore system stability can become an issue.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

+1
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

roadapathy

#5 Post by roadapathy »

For the record, I have used Wine and I use to compile it myself for old Ubuntu 10.10. However, Wine went through a dark phase where it wasn't able to support anything higher than DirectX 9 and just didn't work very well. I'm reading that 3.x is the magic number. Direct X 10 and 11, and it's smooth sailing. I read that through some articles but I haven't seen it. I have no idea how to add 3.x on MX unless I do it from source.

Oh, and compiling from source became more difficult with the whole 32bit/64bit thing. Otherwise, I would be doing that. :-(

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

Wine 3.0 is in the test repo, backported from upstream Debian. It was added last week. The wine-staging project we were using came to a halt after 2.22, though som people are trying to get it going again.

I do have a newer version of Mesa in a outside repo, though: https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... h-backport

roadapathy

#7 Post by roadapathy »

That is awesome! Alright, I'll give it a try. There's only 1 Windows game that I play and if that worked in Linux, I'd be super happy.

You know what I wish we had? Something no other distro has: An app that compiles just a few dozen essential libraries with -O3 and -march=native for optimal gaming. :-D

I compile SDL2 with those GCC options and then drop them into Steam game directories that use them, thus replacing the game's SDL2 version with mine, and it seems to speed up the games. If we had that, MX would be the ultimate gamer distro. Just sayin....

(it's still the best distro, but just adding that feature to the comment box)

roadapathy

#8 Post by roadapathy »

Oh, and it looks like MXinstaller was updated. Whoever did that, thank you very much!

Stevo
Developer

#9 Post by Stevo »

I have Mesa 17.3.6 backported from Buster, and I'll try the amdgpu, nouveau, radeon, and intel video drivers from Buster. These'll probably go into a separate experimental repo.

Stevo
Developer

#10 Post by Stevo »

Someone at winehq has a successful wine-staging 3.3 build: https://dev.wine-staging.com/builder/job/19385/

More at Phoronix: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... 3-Released

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”