LibreOffice 6

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: LibreOffice 6

#31 Post by Jerry3904 »

Learned something new today. Thought Package Installer=Synaptic.
Sorry, that's our fault; you made a very reasonable assumption. We should always specify MX Package Installer.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

asqwerth
Developer

#32 Post by asqwerth »

danielson wrote:
...Did select all the repos in Synaptic (except for Opera and Virtualbox)...
Now please open Synaptic again and ensure that the Debian backports, MX Test repo, and (if still present) deb-multimedia repos are all disabled again.

It is much safer to use MX Package Installer (MXPI) to access the backports and Test repo, since MXPI will only temporarily enable the same to download the necessary packages, then will disable them again. When you manually enable said repos via Synaptic or by editing the text files in root, they stay enabled and you might forget to disable them after you are done. This might or might not lead to issues later on.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Gordon Cooper

#33 Post by Gordon Cooper »

asqwerth wrote: This might or might not lead to issues later on.
From personal experience, there is no "might not" about deb-multimedia, leaving this repo enabled is a first step to future troubles.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Fornhamfred

#34 Post by Fornhamfred »

timkb4cq wrote:The easiest way to get LibreOffice 6 in MX-17 is to use the MX Package Installer.
Start -> MX-Tools -> Package Installer -> Full App Catalog (tab) -> Debian Backports Repo
Select libreoffice and libroffice-base and click Install.
Yes, it will automatically remove the older version as it installs.
Did not do this for me. Had to go into synaptic and remove 6 same as previously with 5.4.

timkb4cq
Developer

#35 Post by timkb4cq »

I think I may have misunderstood your question. Updating Libreoffice with MXPI will remove the Libreoffice MX ships with, or previously updated to from debian backports.
It will not remove LO manually installed from the Libreoffice site download.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

danielson

#36 Post by danielson »

asqwerth wrote:
danielson wrote:
...Did select all the repos in Synaptic (except for Opera and Virtualbox)...
Now please open Synaptic again and ensure that the Debian backports, MX Test repo, and (if still present) deb-multimedia repos are all disabled again.

It is much safer to use MX Package Installer (MXPI) to access the backports and Test repo, since MXPI will only temporarily enable the same to download the necessary packages, then will disable them again. When you manually enable said repos via Synaptic or by editing the text files in root, they stay enabled and you might forget to disable them after you are done. This might or might not lead to issues later on.
Thanks for the follow-up!
Hope this is the right configuration:
https://snag.gy/RMEaVU.jpg

Jerry3904
Administrator

#37 Post by Jerry3904 »

We keep the correct default setup in the Wiki:

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/repos-mx-17
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

danielson

#38 Post by danielson »

@Jerry3904
That's fine by me.
But asqwerth recommended to disable MX Test repo which according to that list you sent me to, listed it as one of the two default for MX:
#deb http://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/ stretch test

asqwerth
Developer

#39 Post by asqwerth »

The hash sign (#) in front of that Test Repo line of text means that it is disabled, ie, "commented out".

If it were enabled, # would not be there.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

danielson

#40 Post by danielson »

@asqwerth - interesting and good thing to know!

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”