Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

LibreOffice 6

newguy

Re: LibreOffice 6

#51 Post by newguy »

I should have specified that I used the MX upgrade program to get the latest batch of updates, including LibreOffice. I don't remember if the MX update app uses "apt upgrade" or "apt-get upgrade". In any case, I was using the app's upgrade function rather than dist-upgrade.

I'd like to add that I was using two English language packs (UK English and US English) when the error occurred.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#52 Post by dolphin_oracle »

newguy wrote:I should have specified that I used the MX upgrade program to get the latest batch of updates, including LibreOffice. I don't remember if the MX update app uses "apt upgrade" or "apt-get upgrade". In any case, I was using the app's upgrade function rather than dist-upgrade.

I'd like to add that I was using two English language packs (UK English and US English) when the error occurred.
thanks, that helps.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#53 Post by dolphin_oracle »

ok, I can reproduce the error with apt-get upgrade.

in this case, libreoffice itself didn't update, as per my posts above. However, something else did update that causes the breakae and I'm trying to track that down.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#54 Post by dolphin_oracle »

getting close...found a couple of mismatched libraries. checking those out...

Adrian
Developer

#55 Post by Adrian »

Great, thank you very much for getting to the bottom of this!

newguy

#56 Post by newguy »

Indeed, thanks for the quick work.

For the future, I wonder if it might be worth while to look at putting major application version bumps like this into a separate, Backports repo? I don't have Debian Backports enabled just to prevent surprise updates/breaks like this one. I'm okay with using older versions of LibreOffice or Firefox ESR rather than the latest packages for the sake of reliability/pleasant boredom.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#57 Post by Jerry3904 »

Well, it's been easily accessible in Debian Backports via MX Package Installer for 10 days or so, and our testing from there or by direct download was all clean.

What we probably might do next time is to move it to MX Test and let it sit there for a good while--something Devs will certainly discuss, thanks.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#58 Post by dolphin_oracle »

The problem turned out to be 2 libraries that were updating during the "apt-get upgrade" when they shouldn't have. These library packages are now updated with proper depends information so that shouldn't happen now. Main repos are updated already, mirrors should catchup over nite.

For those using the default mx-updater settings, or default synaptic settings, or "apt-get dist-upgrade" and "apt full-upgrade" there is no problem. The problem was only for those using the usually stable "apt-get upgrade" or "apt upgrade" methods.

Sorry for the inconveniences.

asqwerth
Developer

#59 Post by asqwerth »

newguy wrote:Indeed, thanks for the quick work.

...I don't have Debian Backports enabled....
Most people don't. They use the MX Packageinstaller (MXPI) instead.

MXPI is used for one-off installations of specific packages from Debian Backports, where that repo is temporarily turned on for the install, then automatically turned off again.

Thus there is really no need to have a separate backports repo. Just use MXPI if you have a specific package from Debian Backports in mind.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

newguy

#60 Post by newguy »

As a follow-up to this issue, I tried out performing "apt-get dist-upgrade" on a second computer to see how it would go. I can confirm the MX team's findings that the dist-upgrade worked, installing LibreOffice 6 without any issues. So sticking with the default update tool settings does indeed provide a working office suite.

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”