[SOLVED] Papirus-GTK icon theme disappeared

mountain-ash

[SOLVED] Papirus-GTK icon theme disappeared

#1 Post by mountain-ash »

So I tried Compiz, but decided to stick with Xfwm.
After switching back to Xfwm and uninstalling Compiz, I found that the Papirus-GTK icon theme had disappeared from Appearance > Icons.
It looks like Papirus-GTK icon theme is still installed, but I don't know how to access/enable it.

Any ideas on how I can get Papirus-GTK back into Appearance > Icons, or even just a way to change it back from the command line?

Thanks in advance. Much love for MX, it's amazing.
Last edited by mountain-ash on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asqwerth
Developer

Re: Papirus-GTK icon theme disappeared

#2 Post by asqwerth »

Are you running MX15 or 16? There may have been an update in the icon theme. If so, there has been a renaming.

In Appearance, the following should show up: ePapirus, Papirus, Papirus Light, Papirus Dark, Papirus Adapta and Papirus Nokto Adapta.

If it's really gone (check the /usr/share/icons folder), go to Synaptic and install the Papirus theme. It should no longer have "gtk" in its name.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

mountain-ash

Re: Papirus-GTK icon theme disappeared

#3 Post by mountain-ash »

Thanks asqwerth.
I'm on MX 16 but inadvertently did an 'apt-get upgrade' from the MX 15 test-repo in the process of getting Compiz set up, so that may have tweaked some settings.

I had 'papirus-gtk-icon-theme' installed, but not 'papirus-icon-theme'... installed the latter through Synaptic, and that did the trick.
Looks so much better now. Thanks again.

asqwerth
Developer

Re: [SOLVED] Papirus-GTK icon theme disappeared

#4 Post by asqwerth »

BTW, Compiz doesn't need to be set up from terminal or by enabling test repo from Synaptic. You may have accidentally left that repo enabled all the time now by doing that, and you'll be pulling in all non-fully tested updated packages in that repo henceforth. Pls go to synaptic > settings > repositories, untick mx test repo, and reload.

Another thing, upgrade in terminal with dist-upgrade, not upgrade. You used the latter which won't update anything which installs additional packages. I think that's why you didn't get the new icon set. If you'd used dist-upgrade, papirus gtk would have updated by pulling in the new papirus package.

Easy installation : From MXPI's popular apps tab, go to Window Manager section and you can install Compiz with one click. It pulls in all the packages you need, including emerald, emerald themes and fusion icon.
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

vamsi

#5 Post by vamsi »

How could i install these themes on Papirus, Papirus, Papirus Light, Papirus Dark, Papirus Adapta and Papirus Nokto Adapta MX -16.1 i am not able to install them it is asking so many dependencies could you post the commands how can i install these themes..

Thanks..

asqwerth
Developer

#6 Post by asqwerth »

If you are in MX16, first make sure you are not at the moment using any of the Papirus icon sets. Maybe switch to Faenza-Cupertino.

Open Synaptic, search for papirus. If "papirus-gtk-icon-theme" is still installed, uninstall it and install "papirus-icon-theme".

That's it. I really don't see how you are getting dependency issues on a single icon set. [OH WAIT, there could be issues with MX-Defaultlook. If so, don't uninstall papirus-gtk-icon-theme, but either update it in Synaptic or just install papirus-icon-theme without removing the old papirus-gtk version.]

Open "Appearance" in Whisker Menu and you should have all the new variations of Papirus set on your system under the "Icons" tab.

asqwerth
Developer

#7 Post by asqwerth »

vamsi wrote:How could i install these themes on Papirus, Papirus, Papirus Light, Papirus Dark, Papirus Adapta and Papirus Nokto Adapta MX -16.1 i am not able to install them it is asking so many dependencies could you post the commands how can i install these themes..

Thanks..
@vamsi, from your comments and questions in various posts, you do not appear to be that familiar yet with Linux, or perhaps it is just Debian you are not so familiar with.

I suggest that you don't just jump straight into installing things from other locations by following terminal commands from Youtube or other web pages.

Take time to get familiar with MX Package Installer's "Popular Apps" tab and the "Full Catalog" tabs first. Search for applications in these 2 places first, and if you can't find what you want, make a package request. Do not install from 3rd party sources.

vamsi

#8 Post by vamsi »

asqwerth wrote:
vamsi wrote:How could i install these themes on Papirus, Papirus, Papirus Light, Papirus Dark, Papirus Adapta and Papirus Nokto Adapta MX -16.1 i am not able to install them it is asking so many dependencies could you post the commands how can i install these themes..

Thanks..
@vamsi, from your comments and questions in various posts, you do not appear to be that familiar yet with Linux, or perhaps it is just Debian you are not so familiar with.

I suggest that you don't just jump straight into installing things from other locations by following terminal commands from Youtube or other web pages.

Take time to get familiar with MX Package Installer's "Popular Apps" tab and the "Full Catalog" tabs first. Search for applications in these 2 places first, and if you can't find what you want, make a package request. Do not install from 3rd party sources.
Thanks you are right i searched in MXPI and In Apps Catalouge but i couldn't find them there i downloaded the themes from internet and i installed them after installing i have small minor issues with the theme and some times the theme doesn't fit good and some one told me that they are updating daily probably they will be fixed but i couldn't find them on the catalouge. as i love customising that is why :happy: :happy:

By the way i am not talking about icon theme but i am talking about only theme in appearance

i added the ubuntu repo and i tried to install and i got this error

Thanks.. :happy:

asqwerth
Developer

#9 Post by asqwerth »

There is no Papirus THEME, only icons.

And I am disappointed you have forgotten our previous forum conversation on Adapta theme. I already told you it is not compatible with MX15/16 because of the gtk3+ incompatibility. You will get it in MX17 repos but not MX15/16.

In your post above, you have done the thing I feared most for you: enabling 3rd party repos, and installing incompatible packages causing dependency problems.

You can of course apply Adapta from this foreign source, but it will not render well in MX15/16, and certain apps will not run with this theme applied. Worse, you may have messed up your system.

I have said all I have to say on this.

vamsi

#10 Post by vamsi »

asqwerth wrote:There is no Papirus THEME, only icons.

And I am disappointed you have forgotten our previous forum conversation on Adapta theme. I already told you it is not compatible with MX15/16 because of the gtk3+ incompatibility. You will get it in MX17 repos but not MX15/16.

In your post above, you have done the thing I feared most for you: enabling 3rd party repos, and installing incompatible packages causing dependency problems.

You can of course apply Adapta from this foreign source, but it will not render well in MX15/16, and certain apps will not run with this theme applied. Worse, you may have messed up your system.

I have said all I have to say on this.
Thanks will try this on MX -17 and try to install it on final version

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”