Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 Final release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

Setting up Kiosk -- Removing Whisker Menu?

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Setting up Kiosk -- Removing Whisker Menu?

#1 Postby uncle mark » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:35 pm

I'm setting up a machine for use by a small number of our staff who do not have access to the Internet or smartphones so they can access their payroll information. To that end I've installed the mKiosk extension in Firefox, and that is working well. I want to make this setup as close to a single use machine as possible -- access our payroll service's web interface and that's it. Firefox is the only application launcher visible. mKiosk has the browser locked down. I've set the power options to shut the machine down by hitting the power button. My last thought was to remove the Whisker Menu launcher from the Panel. That would leave the Firefox launcher on the Panel and nothing else. My only hesitation is that the menu doesn't appear to be something I could add back if removing it proves unworkable. Am I right about that? And are there any gotchyas anyone can think of if I were to remove it?
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

richb
Administrator

Re: Setting up Kiosk -- Removing Whisker Menu?

#2 Postby richb » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:49 pm

The whisker menu is easily added. Click on the panel and "Panel" then "Add New Items" Whisker Menu is in the list. It is added with a different icon than MX linux icon, but it can be changed. I am not aware of any "gotchas".
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX-15- 64 - migrated to MX-16 RC1
HD Test: MX-16 RC1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB, 350 GB HD

chrispop99
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#3 Postby chrispop99 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:18 pm

You can run with no panel if that would help.

Settings>Session and Startup>Application Autostart, click Add.

Fill in Name and description as you wish. In the Command field, add pkill xfce4panel. Click OK, exit and reboot.

If you need the panel temporarily for maintenance, Alt-F2, then execute xfce4-panel.

To revert, remove the Autostart entry you created.

Chris
Test machines:
32-bit non-PAE - Thinkpad T41, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM.
32-bit PAE - DELL Latitude D610, 1.73GHz Pentium M, 2GB RAM.
64-bit - Lenovo T61, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
64-bit - Gigabyte Z77P-D3, Intel i3-3220, GeForce 8400 GS, 4GB PC3-12800.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Postby Jerry3904 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:28 pm

@UM: I have a short (reasonably ignorant) section section on Kiosk in the Users Manual, and will add this in the next version. If you have the time to put together an overview of the steps to set this up and get it to me sometime, I would be very grateful. I see a lot of hits with a search on "mkiosk setup" but would like to see what you do.

:pint: :popcorn: :pint:
Production: 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, MX-15 RC1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 3.16-0-4-686-pae. MX-15, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Postby uncle mark » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:51 pm

Jerry3904 wrote:@UM: I have a short (reasonably ignorant) section section on Kiosk in the Users Manual, and will add this in the next version. If you have the time to put together an overview of the steps to set this up and get it to me sometime, I would be very grateful. I see a lot of hits with a search on "mkiosk setup" but would like to see what you do.

I pretty much told you in my OP. The mKiosk extension is the key. I set the home tab in Firefox (the login page for the payroll site) prior to installing it, and it picked it up. Configging mKiosk is a bit counter-intuitive and the documentation is pretty much non-existent save for the series of screenshots on the AddOns web page. (You use F-keys to access the settings.) That said, the defaults should suffice in most instances.

I've set the power option to Shut Down when pressing the power button, so that eliminates the need for access to the Log Out dialog. Firefox launcher is on the Panel, with nothing else. By eliminating the Menu launcher, it should be as stoopid proof and single use as I can get it. And yes, I know I can access applications via right-click.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Postby uncle mark » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:52 pm

richb wrote:The whisker menu is easily added. Click on the panel and "Panel" then "Add New Items" Whisker Menu is in the list. It is added with a different icon than MX linux icon, but it can be changed. I am not aware of any "gotchas".

Duh. I knew it would be something simple. Thanks Rich.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Postby Jerry3904 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:57 pm

uncle mark wrote:
Jerry3904 wrote:@UM: I have a short (reasonably ignorant) section section on Kiosk in the Users Manual, and will add this in the next version. If you have the time to put together an overview of the steps to set this up and get it to me sometime, I would be very grateful. I see a lot of hits with a search on "mkiosk setup" but would like to see what you do.

I pretty much told you in my OP. The mKiosk extension is the key. I set the home tab in Firefox (the login page for the payroll site) prior to installing it, and it picked it up. Configging mKiosk is a bit counter-intuitive and the documentation is pretty much non-existent save for the series of screenshots on the AddOns web page. (You use F-keys to access the settings.) That said, the defaults should suffice in most instances.

I've set the power option to Shut Down when pressing the power button, so that eliminates the need for access to the Log Out dialog. Firefox launcher is on the Panel, with nothing else. By eliminating the Menu launcher, it should be as stoopid proof and single use as I can get it. And yes, I know I can access applications via right-click.

OK, thanks.
Production: 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, MX-15 RC1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 3.16-0-4-686-pae. MX-15, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Postby uncle mark » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:10 pm

Jerry3904 wrote:
uncle mark wrote:

OK, thanks.

This doesn't totally lock down the whole system, but it locks down the browser and will make it difficult for an unsophisticated user to access anything else.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Postby Stevo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Use a mouse with the right button disabled to lock it down even more?

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Postby dolphin_oracle » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:07 pm

you can actually remove the applications menu from the right click as well. I forget excatly how to do that, but its possible. (oh yeah! its in Desktop settings > menus).
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 15 32 bit (streaming media player)
acer c720p chromebook - chromeos / MX15-64 (custom snapshot) live USB.
lenovo s21e - antiX-16 MX16(live-usb)

Return to “Desktop Environment”