Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 Final release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

How to diagnose the RJ-45 LAN connection of the motherboard?

joejac
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

How to diagnose the RJ-45 LAN connection of the motherboard?

#1 Postby joejac » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:04 pm

Hello,
Today my Internet connection stopped functioning. I came with my windows laptop, thinking was an ISP problem, the ISP support do not work with Linux, and the connection worked!.

So I suspected something wrong with my desktop which is the machine I use. I booted my desktop from the back up hard disk with Windows and it did not connect either. I changed several cables but the light from the computer in the RJ-45 desktop connector was off, only the light coming from the router was on.

I tooked the USB cable of my printer and I connected the USB port to the spare USB port in the router that has same conector as my printer and I was able to connect to internet via the desktop and my SSD with MX-16.

Does anybody knows how can I make a diagnostic of my desktop RJ-45 connection?. The RJ-45 connections comes out of my Asus motherboard, it was working since march that I installed MX-16 in this desktop. This desktop was off since December 2013 to march 2017 when my main laptop failed and I used the desktop again.

The MX Broadcom Manager reports that the desktop has a 03:00.0 Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd RTL8111/8168/8411/ PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller 10ec:8168 (rev 06).

When connected via RJ-45 port, pings fails and no internet connection, although MX-16 reports the connection as active. When connected to USB port the connection is active too, but pings to various URLs works as well as the internet, thanks to this USB connection I am able to post this.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards.
joejac

duane
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: How to diagnose the RJ-45 LAN connection of the motherboard?

#2 Postby duane » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:20 pm

Well if it is bad you can use a USB to RJ45 adapter on your computer to connect to your router. If that doesn't work then it is the router. Assuming you have another USB port to use on the computer.
AMD Breeze 3440 Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHZ 8 GB DDR3-1600

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: How to diagnose the RJ-45 LAN connection of the motherboard?

#3 Postby BitJam » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Mechanical connectors such as the RJ-45 connector usually have the highest failure rate of any electronic component. Since you already tried swapping cables, I'd try to blow out the mobo connector with some compressed air (in a can). If that doesn't work then I would try to *carefully* clean off the contacts with a small pencil eraser and then blow it out again to get rid of all the little eraser pieces. Repeatedly plugging and unplugging the cable might help to remove tarnish but it is much less effective. You can buy a RJ-45 Modular Plug Tester for about $10. But for about the same amount you could get a small usb hub with with built-in RJ-45.
Will I cry when its all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

Return to “Desktop Environment”