Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 RC1 release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

MX APT Notifier icons

richb
Administrator

Re: MX APT Notifier icons

#11 Postby richb » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:51 pm

Flipped my horizontal panel. The long whisker start gets mangled of course, but gives an idea how the apt notifier icon looks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX-15- 64 - migrated to MX-16 RC1
HD Test: MX-16 RC1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB, 350 GB HD

asqwerth
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#12 Postby asqwerth » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:07 am

That seems to fill the space in the notification area nicely.

And the "red or green" thing is a different paradigm from our "box is empty or filled" concept, so it's an interesting alternative.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Postby Adrian » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:42 am

I like it a lot, I'm worried about one thing red/green are not always good choices for a percentage of population that has problems distinguishing these colors -- maybe the difference in color intensity could be enough to distinguish them, but it would be nice to have another visual clue beside the color. Maybe somebody who is red-green color-blind could chime in...

richb
Administrator

#14 Postby richb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:52 am

If it is an option in the preferences dialog and not the default, not a big problem. No doubt there are optional theme color schemes that we provide that are unacceptable as well to users with color distinction problems.
Forum Rules

Rich
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB, 350 GB HD

antechdesigns
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#15 Postby antechdesigns » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:49 am

Hey guys if you have any ideas, suggestions, just let me know, at the moment I'm just posting what I use, if you need anything specific, give me a shout ;)

richb
Administrator

#16 Postby richb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:50 am

Did a black outline to punch it out. Looks better at correct size. And same for whisker icon,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Forum Rules

Rich

cyrilus31
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#17 Postby cyrilus31 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:02 am

Adrian wrote:I like it a lot, I'm worried about one thing red/green are not always good choices for a percentage of population that has problems distinguishing these colors -- maybe the difference in color intensity could be enough to distinguish them, but it would be nice to have another visual clue beside the color. Maybe somebody who is red-green color-blind could chime in...

Good point. A friend of mine is colorblind and would have difficulties in this case.
Maybe the solution could be to differentiate a low (flat don't know how to express) signal and a high signal like in an EKG?

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#18 Postby Stevo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:27 pm

brightness-controllers.zip
How about a black outline like Rich's over a white interior for no updates, and a green fill for updates? That could match the other icons, sort of. Or maybe you could add an exclamation point behind the update one for yet another color-challenged choice, if kmathern wants to add those to the applet.

BTW, I just packaged this little applet (not the simple version) that lets you control the brightness and colors/color temperature on your display manually. Maybe we can desaturate the display to see how they might differ in that scenario.

Edit: I could not see how to get a grayscale with that applet, but there is a Compiz plugin that can handle it full screen or just a window: https://askubuntu.com/questions/102440/ ... lor-scheme

I had to add another key such as <Ctl> or <Alt> to the default key bindings to get it to work for me, though.
Last edited by Stevo on Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richb
Administrator

#19 Postby richb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:36 pm

Stevo wrote:BTW, I just packaged this little applet (not the simple version) that lets you control the brightness and colors/color temperature on your display manually. Maybe we can desaturate the display to see how they might differ in that scenario.

Thanks for the app! The only reason I use the AMD graphics driver is for control of brightness on my desktop. Do not need it now.
Forum Rules

Rich

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#20 Postby MX-16_fan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:12 pm

@Stevo:

richb wrote:
Stevo wrote:BTW, I just packaged this little applet (not the simple version) that lets you control the brightness and colors/color temperature on your display manually. Maybe we can desaturate the display to see how they might differ in that scenario.

Thanks for the app! The only reason I use the AMD graphics driver is for control of brightness on my desktop. Do not need it now.

Yeah, that is extremely cool! I guess it will even fill the gap for all those people who need to calibrate their screen using a professional comparative color cardboard but who wouldn't want to plague themselves with unfriendly stuff like ArgyllCMS and Spyder 4 / oeminst (whoa, shudder).

Greetings, Joe

Return to “Desktop Environment”