GNOME (solved)

GarryRicketson

GNOME (solved)

#1 Post by GarryRicketson »

I am thinking about installing GNOME, I kind of like the "gnome classic" desktop better then

Code: Select all

Desktop Environment:
	XFCE 4 
which is what I have,

Code: Select all

Kernel	Linux 3.14-0.bpo.2-686-pae (i686)
Compiled	#1 SMP Debian 3.14.15-2~bpo70+1 (2014-08-21)
C Library	Unknown
Default C Compiler	GNU C Compiler version 4.7.2 (Debian 4.7.2-5)
Distribution	MX-14 
Since MX-14 is working really well, I am reluctant to change anything, so I am wondering what risks (if any) there might be if I try to install GNOME, I see it is in the repository, so my guess it is safe enough.
If more info is needed, please let me know. Thanks in advance
Last edited by GarryRicketson on Sun May 17, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megatotoro

Re: GNOME

#2 Post by megatotoro »

I've installed both KDE and LXDE and so far, everything seems to be working well. Even if Gnome did not work well, you can always start your system choosing XFCE from the login window. To install Gnome, I'd use the metapackage installer instead of Synaptic, though.

anticapitalista
Developer

#3 Post by anticapitalista »

If you like gnome-classic, you might be better off installing MATE desktop (also in the metapackage installer)
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

Ok, thanks , on "mate", I just finished downloading gnome, it is installing now, hope it works ok,...
I used synaptic. though, this will show how little I know, but I don't know where or how to start "metapackage installer ", didn't see it in the applications menu.

Gordon Cooper

#5 Post by Gordon Cooper »

GarryRicketson wrote:Ok, thanks , on "mate", I just finished downloading gnome, it is installing now, hope it works ok,...
I used synaptic. though, this will show how little I know, but I don't know where or how to start "metapackage installer ", didn't see it in the applications menu.
It's been renamed MX Package Installer.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

Oh, ok, I did see that ,"MX Package Installer." next time I will give it a try

GarryRicketson

Re: GNOME (solved)

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

Well it looks like it went well, I am using the "gnome clasic" just now, but also all the other options are there, XFCE, etc.
I had done some searching with startpage.com and google but did not find anything in relation to gnome on MX-14, so now maybe this will be able to help others too.
Seems to be working fine, at least on my system. thanks all

lucky9

#8 Post by lucky9 »

I did try it (Gnome Ultra). I found that there must be a 'secret' to using it. I never found a way to use a program, close it, and be able to do something else without going through several clicks to get to where I could choose another program. I'm sure there was/is a way but it wasn't worth the trouble for me to find out how.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

asqwerth
Developer

#9 Post by asqwerth »

Gnome 3 is a little weird to me. Very pretty but you really have to force yourself to learn new ways.

And if you want it to have a more traditional desktop feel, you have to:

1. get gnome tweak tool to add back the normal min/max buttons
2. add a shell extension that will make the dock be present all the time
3. install a file manager that has the functionality and settings menu you expect (Nautilus in its current state irritates me. It's so bare)
4. maybe add a shell extension to get a normal applications menu back

So much effort.

I'm still wondering what happened to the weather and other applets you used to be able to stick on the panel. And why the panel cannot display all active/opened windows.

I don't hate Gnome 3 (except maybe Nautilus); I just don't really get it.

I have Ubuntu Gnome on a partition, and it tries to make things easier by preinstalling a number of shell extensions you might want to use to get back some "traditional" functionality. And fair enough, they've done a good job. I'm fairly comfortable using Gnome on Ubuntu Gnome.

But the fact that a distro even has to do that to help users be comfortable with a so-called shiny DE makes no sense.

This isn't a minimalist DE. Why take away so much, and force people to search around for equivalents to put back in again?

On the other hand, I understand that if you are very comfortable with keyboard shortcuts/navigation rather than the mouse, you might really like it. That's not me unfortunately.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

GarryRicketson

#10 Post by GarryRicketson »

The more recent versions of gnome, gnome 3 and actually I have not seen the gnome ultra, but I don't like the gnome 3 much, the gnome classic, is what I have on my debian wheezy , ,.. now that I have it on MX-14, well I was getting used to the XFCE 4 , and now I am not so sure I like gnome classic better,...both have features I like, , ..I am not very fond of ICONS, when they are little pitchures, that I have no clue as to what they mean, to me those are like egyption hyrogliphs (sorry about the spelling) I prefer text, IE: Applications, accesaries, file mangager,...etc.
you might be better off installing MATE desktop
That would interesting to try it, actually I have never used it.
If I remember correctly, but please correct me, isn't both KDE and LXDE what they call "plasma" screens, like what is used in Linux Mint, if so, I really don't like it much, seems to hurt my eyes, this is not say they are "bad", but not to my taste. thanks all

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”