Dual Boot

When you run into problems installing MX Linux XFCE
GlockdocVegas

Dual Boot

#1 Post by GlockdocVegas »

Howdy!

Well, this is my 1st post, let the games begin.

I have been using Mint for almost 3yrs. Love it, but have been reading good things about MX and want to give it a try. Did a bootable USB and like what I see. I am ready to do an install on my hard drive, but, want to be sure there should be no issues with dual boot. I currently have Mint 19.1, 18.3, Freedos, and a hidden win partition( so my computer store could charge me to "install" windows.....Thailand).

I have only run into problems doing dual boot a couple of times with Mint, both easy fixes.

Is there anything I be prepared for??

Any surprises compared to a Mint install?

Will MX work with my GRUB selection screen that is already installed on all 3 of my machines or will it replace it?

I did a search on the forums....did not find anything I could use.

Read the manual, while it is mentioned, not enough detail for my Linux pay grade.LOL

Thanks in advance!!

JC

Acer Aspire all in 1 i3 w 4g of ram

asqwerth
Developer

Re: Dual Boot

#2 Post by asqwerth »

GlockdocVegas wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:35 am ...I am ready to do an install on my hard drive, but, want to be sure there should be no issues with dual boot. I currently have Mint 19.1, 18.3, Freedos, and a hidden win partition( so my computer store could charge me to "install" windows.....Thailand).

I have only run into problems doing dual boot a couple of times with Mint, both easy fixes.

Is there anything I be prepared for??

Any surprises compared to a Mint install?

Will MX work with my GRUB selection screen that is already installed on all 3 of my machines or will it replace it?

I did a search on the forums....did not find anything I could use.

Read the manual, while it is mentioned, not enough detail for my Linux pay grade.LOL

Thanks in advance!!

JC

Acer Aspire all in 1 i3 w 4g of ram
I assume you are using MBR legacy boot?

And that Mint is controlling the main grub menu right now?

You can have MX work with the current Grub selection screen (assuming it was created by Mint) by choosing during installation to have MX install its bootloader in the root partition, rather than MBR. But if you do that, you will then have to boot into Mint afterwards, and do a

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
from within Mint to regenerate Mint's grub menu so it detects the newly installed MX.

If you choose during installation of MX to have MX bootloader be installed on the MBR, then MX will thereafter control the grub menu. It should detect and list the other distros/OSes on the machine.

Take note however that Mint tends to steal back control of grub menu whenever you upgrade kernel or install a new one in Mint.

If you're on UEFI boot, is your computer having Secure Boot turned on? Mint is based on UBuntu and Canonical paid for a secure boot key, so it can work with Secure Boot activated, but if you wish to boot and install MX, you'll need to turn SB off from the BIOS.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

fehlix
Developer

#3 Post by fehlix »

GlockdocVegas wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:35 am Well, this is my 1st post, let the games begin.
Welcome!
Always good to post "Quick System Info" ( found in the menu) when booting LiveUSB/ISO.
The GRUB install will not differ much from the Mint install.
You'll see with the Mint-grub menu an entry for MX Linux,
and also with the MX-Grub menu an entry for Mint.
All depend's which grubloader you will load when booted,
which depends on UEFI/BIOS booting, as you would select in UEFI booting
different grubloaer directly, whereas in BIOS/MBR you have only one
bootloader to boot into.
--
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

GlockdocVegas

#4 Post by GlockdocVegas »

Thanks! Installed and working well. No major issues.....and.....and...MX finds my dam BT speakers!! Something I have not been able to get handled in Mint 19.1 for the last 6 weeks. =)

Return to “Installation”