18.2 64-bit won't install

When you run into problems installing MX Linux XFCE
Malae

18.2 64-bit won't install

#1 Post by Malae »

Previously posted Mon May 20, 2019 1:58 pm

I have had problems trying to use live MX from a USB flash drive. My hardware is: Gigabyte MA770, AMD Phenom X4 9350e, 8 GB RAM, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, using BIOS and MBR.

I downloaded the ISO from the MX site and could not progress beyond the menus using Multibootusb. I changed to Rufus with a similar result. Suspecting a corrupted ISO, I downloaded again, but with the same result. I then downloaded using Torrent and after playing with various menu choices in GRUB was able to reach a screen with a clean blue geometric graphics image, but no further progress. I wanted to try MX live, but gave up, after this repeated several times.

In the past weeks I have downloaded more than 8 distros based on Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Debian and Arch and was able to reach a working desktop with every one using the same equipment and similar procedures.

Edited after further attempts:
Having received no advice on what might be causing the problems, I decided to try again with Rufus. The first attempt produced the starting screen with Loading Linux kernel, but after loading it only rebooted.

The next attempt was with Rufus with a different USB flash drive and this time it completed the loading after a page of errors and opened the desktop. The effort was worthwhile with a clean desktop. Changing the taskbar to the bottom was easy with MX Tweak and I finally felt I had a desktop with which I felt comfortable. :-)
Last edited by Malae on Thu May 23, 2019 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

figueroa

Re: 18.2 64-bit won't install

#2 Post by figueroa »

Your post is a bit inconsistent. Your hardware should work just fine. I assume you are running MS Windows since you mentioned Rufus, which is a Windows application. Are you unable to create the bootable USB from the downloaded ISO? You burn the MX ISO to a USB just like is done with the other distros you mentioned. If you have a good USB drive and a good ISO, it should just work. Not sure where GRUB comes into this. One does not use GRUB booting from a live USB. Burning an ISO to a USB flash drive is not considered installing.

Perhaps you will clarify at which point you are having a problem.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

Return to “Installation”