News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

18.2 64-bit won't install

sl0j0n
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

18.2 64-bit won't install

Post by sl0j0n » Sat May 04, 2019 2:19 am

Hello:

I'm not having any success installing MX 18.2 64-bit
Tryed numerous times, w/ various degrees of failure (keyboard won't work, OS won't load/run, freezes, etc.)
I've never seen so many fails trying to install Linux
Usually, I just run a live CD/DVD, play around & go back to windoz
Now I'm ready to move on, but this is a problem
I've got the 32-bit installed on an old hp Compaq, it's great but 64-bit is not working

Here's my box;
AMD Athlon II X4 640 CPU, Asus M5A97 R2.0, 12GB RAM, 'new used' Toshiba 128GB SSD (THNSNC128GBSJ),
ASUS DRW-24B3LT Optical drive, mickeysoft mouse&keyboard.

What I've done;
Tried to install MX Linux 18.2 64-bit; using 3 different microsd card readers w/ 32GB microsd card, using 2 different downloads, installed w/ LinuxLive USB Creator & a 2nd using RUFUS, plus a DVD burnt from the 2nd download
I'm trying to install to a SSD I just received [bought 2, used 1 for a Win10 install, seems fine]

I'm *not* trying to dual-boot—I want a dedicated install, so no grub.
If everything is installed right, I should be able to swap drives between the Samsung SSD w/ Win7, another Toshiba SSD w/ Win10, & the Toshiba SSD I'm trying to install to.

I bought 2 used SSDs to install OSs on (~$19 on ebay)
I installed Win10 on 1, it worked fine for windoz
The other could be bad I guess, but it's been close a couple of times

Seriously open to suggestions
BTW, I had a devil of a time downloading the ISO to start w/, took 'bout 8 tries to get a complete file downloaded

Anybody ever heard of this?
j
Last edited by sl0j0n on Sat May 04, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyrilus31
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: 18.2 won't install

Post by cyrilus31 » Sat May 04, 2019 2:25 am

BTW, I had a devil of a time downloading the ISO to start w/, took 'bout 8 tries to get a complete file downloaded
Sounds as if your download was corrupted. First thing to do is to check if your ISO is valid.

JayM
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: 18.2 won't install

Post by JayM » Sat May 04, 2019 4:09 am

cyrilus31 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 2:25 am
Sounds as if your download was corrupted. First thing to do is to check if your ISO is valid.
Which can be done via one of the options on the Live USB's boot menu. It gives a pass/fail or OK/bad message when you check it. sl0j0n, if it fails you might want to try downloading the ISO from a different mirror.
New users: Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information (Quick System Info) to posts!

cyrilus31
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: 18.2 64-bit won't install

Post by cyrilus31 » Sat May 04, 2019 7:55 am

Thanks for the addition 😉

sl0j0n
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by sl0j0n » Tue May 07, 2019 2:31 pm

FIRST, many thanks to all that've responded.
OK, an update.
I've been in hospital since early Sun. AM, just got home today, checking the forum to see what what's up.
RE: "download corrupted"—tried 2 different dwlds, then a 3rd burned to DVD. Still no joy.
Perusing the forum I saw the UEFI problem mentioned so I've made some changes but haven't really tried another install attempt, I wanted to gather some intel for the MX forum crew before I started trying again.
RE: "Live USB's boot menu".
Didn't see anything along those lines but I'm still learning; I really liked the RUFUS installer, easy & fast.
At this point I'm inclined to think it's something in the Asus UEFI.
I'd like to see a better breakdown on what settings to use.
I'll try again today or tomorrow & let you'll know how it's going.
Thanks again to all respondents for your kindnesses.
j

sl0j0n
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by sl0j0n » Wed May 08, 2019 1:01 am

Another question has come up regarding "18.2 64-bit won't install";
Do I need GRUB installed if I want a linux box only?
I've got 2 Toshiba 128GB SSDs' & I want to install MX on one, already got windoz 10 on the other.
I may be wrong but I'm thinking once the OS is installed on the SSD I can swap them back & forth as needed to use the desired OS depending on the current need/choice.
Because when I tryed to install 18.2 it wanted to install GRUB or use the whole drive which is the way I choose.
Let me know if that a difference, k?

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dolphin_oracle » Wed May 08, 2019 9:19 am

unless you use a different boot loader (and it doens't sound like you are), then you need grub installed to boot MX. The bootloader (grub) load the linux kernel and initrd (init ram drive) to boot the rest of the system.

the grub install options should be presented by the installer no matter if using "custom partitions" or the full disk "auto-install".
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18
lenovo s21e - MX-18, antiX-17.3.1 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

az2020
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by az2020 » Wed May 08, 2019 3:47 pm

sl0j0n wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:31 pm
At this point I'm inclined to think it's something in the Asus UEFI.
Why do you think that? With the variety of problems you've had, it doesn't sound like UEFI to me.

Did you ever verify the ISO image/checksum?

If I were you, I would start over and keep things simple. I had trouble getting MX 18.2 installed a week or two ago. It was a UEFI problem. I got no GRUB menu, just the GRUB prompt. It seemed like it had something to do with the ESP partition which holds the /boot directory being case-insensitive, but my BIOS requiring path/filename to be all caps.

Anyway, when these guys walked me through narrowing that down, they had me run the following commands:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxrz

lsblk -f 

efibootmgr -v
/sda1 is my ESP partition. They had me run:

find /media/sda1  -iname "*.efi"  -ls
Probably doesn't apply to you, but check if secure boot is enabled:

sudo cat /sys/firmware/efi/vars/SecureBoot-*/data 2>/dev/null | od -An -t u1 - 2>/dev/null | tr -d '[:space:]' | grep -m1 -qE '1$'  && 	echo "enabled" || echo "disabled"
I don't know how much of that would apply to you. But, if you start over and try to tackle one problem at a time, work through it, I imagine those would be the commands they'd ask you to run so they can see what's happening. (Report the output surrounded by "code" tags, the </> button above the editor).

It sounds like you know what you're doing. But, if you're asking for someone to figure it out for you... it sounds a little too "shotgun approach" to me. It's not clear what all the problems were that you had, nor what you did to fix them, or cause other problems, etc. I would start fresh, be very clear about how you do the install (where you choose to put GRUB, etc. I think the ESP partition is the preferred way.). And then let people walk you through trying things.

turtlebay777
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by turtlebay777 » Wed May 08, 2019 6:14 pm

I always download using the torrent version since it is checked and compared all through the download so I know I end up with a clean, uncorrupted ISO. I suggest you download it that way too.

Malae
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Malae » Mon May 20, 2019 2:58 am

Posted in a new topic
Last edited by Malae on Wed May 22, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Installation”