Is there a Guide on installing MX on a machine running Win 10?

When you run into problems installing MX Linux XFCE
Sgthawker

Re: Is there a Guide on installing MX on a machine running Win 10?

#11 Post by Sgthawker »

I install to separate hard drives with the other drive disconnected so each installs it's own esp (/boot/efi). After both are installed set the MX drive as primary boot device in UEFI following reconnecting the other drive. Windows updates will not affect grub at all. Now update grub, it will find the other drive with Windows on it and you can use grub to select what OS to boot from on each powerup. Best of both worlds if you need/want Windows with MX.

galaxysurfer

#12 Post by galaxysurfer »

The way I deal/dealt with the setup on my system is to configure the bios so it boots into the linux hdd first & uses grub to manage boot & logins. You can configure your grub with either mx boot options or install & use grub customizer which is my preferred method. I am basically taking the boot control away from win 10 & giving it to Mx Linux. in the grub it will do an osprobe & find that you have win 10 installed on your system & will add a boot menu entry so you can go to win 10 as an option or carry on into Mx Linux. I followed the general consensus online of installing mx linux as a second os after win 10 is already installed. I didn't find the need to disconnect the win 10 drive. By hosting the os on separate hdd I don't think win 10 can or does anything to alter the Linux hdd. Since I am not directly editing WIn 10 in booting. Having said that I am not using uefi, I am using mbr. I am reinstalling my setup with different parameters so I will update this if anything changes In how they function together. When you choose to go to win 10 side it boot into win 10 welcome screen no problem. I will see what if anything changes when i add macrium reflect repair to the win 10 boot menu. It shouldn't adversely affect anything since I am already using it with win 10 on another pc using uefi, but that one doesn't currently have dual boot with linux.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#13 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Sgthawker wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:03 am I install to separate hard drives with the other drive disconnected so each installs it's own esp (/boot/efi). After both are installed set the MX drive as primary boot device in UEFI following reconnecting the other drive. Windows updates will not affect grub at all. Now update grub, it will find the other drive with Windows on it and you can use grub to select what OS to boot from on each powerup. Best of both worlds if you need/want Windows with MX.
Exactly how I just did it! Works like a peach.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Return to “Installation”