[Solved] Choosing boot partition in installation process

When you run into problems installing MX Linux XFCE
Specter88

[Solved] Choosing boot partition in installation process

#1 Post by Specter88 »

Hi everyone,

I tried to install MX Linux beside my Win10. I also wanted to create a seperated boot partition to get a full disk encryption, but this seems to be more difficult as I expected. I created a boot partition with gparted (screenshot2) but I'm not able to choose this partition in the installation process (screenshot). I can only see my Win10 partition. What am I doing wrong? 9_9
Last edited by Specter88 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

fehlix
Developer

Re: Choosing boot partition in installation process

#2 Post by fehlix »

Would formating the BootMX partition to ext4 make any difference.
Also please do post Quick System Info from the menu (type quick).
And do always update before installing to avoid any fixed bugs.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

bobbee

#3 Post by bobbee »

it looks like you have 2 boot partitions, the efi one and the ef 00 They are the ones in bright green. The boot has to be FAT and have the boot flags set
The computer should look at the first one. You could try changing the flags so that only one is set as a boot. I'm not sure if location is important on newer systems, it was on older ones so hopefully you don't have to move things around.
What you have to have is for your boot and menu to either load before or instead of the windows one. So you can choose which os to start.
And that partition should be chosen automatically. When you get to that menu where you choose where to put what for linux, that first fat partition will not be shown as it is automatic. I think you can have a separate grub partition for a grub too but you can put that in the root like you have it in listed as boot.

Allot of people have problems with dual boot as windows updates can sometimes wreck your boot. If you had separate drives and put your boot as the first partition, that would be better. That way you can tell your bios which drive to boot from. Or even just a small drive just to put your boot files on, that might do it too. That way your windows won't corrupt anything.

If that helps at all.
Last edited by bobbee on Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adrian
Developer

#4 Post by Adrian »

You need to format that partition as a Linux partition (ext4 for example)

BTW, that's not the ESP partition, this is confusing because "boot" can be used as a verb, or can mean something else, this is just where to put the /boot folder on root or in a separate folder.

bobbee

#5 Post by bobbee »

Maybe you could find a youtube video that shows a dual boot install.

fehlix
Developer

#6 Post by fehlix »

bobbee wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:52 pm I'm not sure if location is important on newer systems, it was on older ones so hopefully you don't have to move things around.
When booting in UEFI-boot mode the ESP (EFI System Partiton) is the important one for the boot process. This ESP-partition will have boot+esp flags set. Only in BIOS-boot mode the BIOS requires to know that there is a boot-partition with a boot-flag set, even though this boot-flag would not be required by GRUB, as GRUB does not care about boot-flags.
The OP presented partition layout does indicate UEFI boot mode is used. So don't recommend to mess with boot-flags.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Specter88

#7 Post by Specter88 »

fehlix wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:16 pm Would formating the BootMX partition to ext4 make any difference.
Also please do post Quick System Info from the menu (type quick).
And do always update before installing to avoid any fixed bugs.
Updated the system and formatted the partition as ext4, but still got the same "error". Then disabled the boot-flag (gparted switched to "msftdata"-flag automatically) and behold: the installer finds my (not)-boot-partition :worship: . Seems the installer wants to make his own boot-flag and don't accept my preliminary work :bricksfall: . Thanks for your help guys :toast:

Return to “Installation”