Dual boot installation failed

When you run into problems installing MX Linux XFCE
Qtamo

Dual boot installation failed

#1 Post by Qtamo »

I tried dual booting MX with Windows 10 on a new Lenovo Ideapad 330s (Inter core i5 8250 cpu and 8 gb of RAM and Nvidia GTX 1050 Gpu). I burned the MXlinux ISO image (md5 signature was correct) on a USB stick and booted from the stick. Then I used Gparted on MX to create a root partition (about 100 GB ext4) and a swap partition (about 11 GB linux-swap). The swap partition is to the left of the root partition, and both these partitions are on the rightmost edge of the 256 GB SSD disk (when looking at how Gparted visualized it), so the Windows partitions are on the left.

Then in the installer I set root to my root partition and swap to my swap partition and left home and bootloader partitions to root. It asked if I want to install Grub and I clicked yes with default settings (I think it installed it in the root partition).

In the end of the installation process when I pressed finish and it asked to reboot, when I clicked yes it froze (or atleast did not restart in about a minute) so I force closed it using the power button. When I powered up again it booted windows, and did not even load Grub. Later when looking at UEFI boot settings it had MX linux at the top in boot order. However, in practice it booted neither Grub nor MX, but went for the second option which was the Windows boot.

What could have gone wrong (I'm a noob so sorry if I made an obvious mistake)?

fehlix
Developer

Re: Dual boot installation failed

#2 Post by fehlix »

You might check to have disabled secure boot to boot from installed MX Linux.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Qtamo

#3 Post by Qtamo »

Thanks for the quick reply, that worked!

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

Does the wi-fi work OK? I saw for some Ideapads that an kernel module, "ideapad-laptop", has to be blacklisted if "rfkill -l" shows the wireless interface as hard-blocked.

Return to “Installation”