[SOLVED] First Install - GParted can't find SSD

When you run into problems installing MX Linux XFCE
Specter88

[SOLVED] First Install - GParted can't find SSD

#1 Post by Specter88 »

Moderator note:
Images posted to the Forum are limited to 600px x 600px. The link to the larger image at the outside service should be used without the {img} tags if the image is larger than the restricted Forum size.

Hi,

I'm actually pretty new to linux and trying to install MX Linux on a Lenovo Yoga 520 (81C8). Finally I want to run a dual boot system with MX Linux and Windows 10. Windows 10 is already installed but trying to install MX Linux seems to be a lot of more trouble than I expected. Starting GParted in the Live USB to create a new partition for Linux displays my USB Stick but not my SSD I want to install Linux (screenshot).
https://i.imgur.com/Pio1rUO.png

Searching the internet
Maybe I need some further driver for the SSD, but I'm not sure.

These are my hardware components:

Lenovo Yoga 520- 14IKB (81C8)

Bios 4QCN49WW (v2.13)

CPU Íntel Core i5-8250U

8 GB RAM

Hard Disk Intel SSDPEKKW256G7

Can somebody help me please?
Last edited by Specter88 on Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manyroads

Re: First Install - GParted can't find SSD

#2 Post by manyroads »

Have you tried the help provided/ suggested by "mother google"? (link below)

https://goo.gl/M1fUax

If you have tried the above and those don't work, you should provide the terminal output of the following command here:

Code: Select all

inxi-Fxrz
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

fehlix
Developer

#3 Post by fehlix »

Specter88 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:51 am Can somebody help me please?
In the upper right corner of gparted you can select the disk / drive.
Gparted always shows only one disk in the main window.
The one visible with the picture is just the USBstick, you are booting from.
Note: The way I'm doing such dual boot is always to shrink the partition
first with Windows itself. after you have free space made in Windows,
do use Gparted to add required partitions for the Linux install.
Please always do a full shutdown in windows (Either hold the shift-key when pressing
shutdown) or disable fastboot, as WIndows "locks" at least the Windows partition
when doing fastboot shotdown's, and I'm not sure if that will make Gparted unhappy
about such a "lock"ed partition, even if you shall not touch the Windows partitions itself.
And note always good to ask before if uncertain, as there might be some pitfalls,
but most can somehow be fixed.
Good Luck
:puppy:
fehlix
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Specter88

#4 Post by Specter88 »

Hey guys,

thanks for your quick answers :happy:
manyroads wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:28 am Have you tried the help provided/ suggested by "mother google"? (link below)

https://goo.gl/M1fUax
Tried it with different search terms but every video, FAQ, Wiki or forum-thread takes an available HDD (SDD) for granted.
manyroads wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:28 am If you have tried the above and those don't work, you should provide the terminal output of the following command here:

inxi-Fxrz
The terminal code

inxi-Fxrz
didn't work for me, but searching fo "inxi" led me to the following output.

System:    Host: mx1 Kernel: 4.19.0-1-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 6.3.0 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: MX-18.1_x64 Continuum Feb 9  2019 
           base: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 
Machine:   Type: Convertible System: LENOVO product: 81C8 v: Lenovo YOGA 520-14IKB 
           serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: LENOVO model: LNVNB161216 v: SDK0J40709 WIN serial: <filter> UEFI: LENOVO 
           v: 4QCN49WW(V2.13) date: 01/10/2019 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT1 charge: 16.8 Wh condition: 31.8/35.3 Wh (90%) model: Celxpert PABAS0241231 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-8250U bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Kaby Lake 
           rev: A L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 28800 
           Speed: 900 MHz min/max: 400/3400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 928 2: 905 3: 929 4: 906 
           5: 930 6: 925 7: 926 8: 938 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel vendor: Lenovo driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
           resolution: 1920x1080~57Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.6 
           direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel vendor: Lenovo driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-1-amd64 
Network:   Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Lenovo 
           driver: ath10k_pci v: kernel port: 3040 bus ID: 02:00.0 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Atheros type: USB driver: btusb bus ID: 1-7:4 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 14.32 GiB used: 677.5 MiB (4.6%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Ultra Fit size: 14.32 GiB 
RAID:      Hardware-1: Intel 82801 Mobile SATA Controller [RAID mode] driver: ahci v: 3.0 
           bus ID: 00:17.0 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 6.07 GiB used: 677.5 MiB (10.9%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 41.0 C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:     Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list 
           1: deb http://iso.mxrepo.com/antix/stretch stretch main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list 
           1: deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list 
           1: deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
           2: deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mx.list 
           1: deb http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/mxlinux/packages/mx/repo/ stretch main non-free
           No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list 
Info:      Processes: 233 Uptime: 14m Memory: 7.66 GiB used: 646.9 MiB (8.2%) Init: SysVinit 
           runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 6.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.12 inxi: 3.0.29 
fehlix wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:42 am
In the upper right corner of gparted you can select the disk / drive.
Gparted always shows only one disk in the main window.
The one visible with the picture is just the USBstick, you are booting from.
Tried this, but there is no other disk or HDD I can select. Only the USB-Stick is shown.
fehlix wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:42 am Note: The way I'm doing such dual boot is always to shrink the partition
first with Windows itself. after you have free space made in Windows,
do use Gparted to add required partitions for the Linux install.
Please always do a full shutdown in windows (Either hold the shift-key when pressing
shutdown) or disable fastboot, as WIndows "locks" at least the Windows partition
when doing fastboot shotdown's, and I'm not sure if that will make Gparted unhappy
about such a "lock"ed partition, even if you shall not touch the Windows partitions itself.
And note always good to ask before if uncertain, as there might be some pitfalls,
but most can somehow be fixed.
Good Luck
fehlix
Have tried these things too, unfortunately without success. I'm "googleing" and trying for at least seven days. Seems to be difficult to solve, but I won't give up this fast. :tumbleweed:

fehlix
Developer

#5 Post by fehlix »

Specter88 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:54 pm The terminal code

inxi-Fxrz
didn't work for me, but searching fo "inxi" led me to the following output.
Yes the correct command, which is the same aa "Quick System Info" from the menu is doing
shall be:

inxi  -Fxrz
Specter88 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:54 pm Have tried these things too, unfortunately without success.
Better describe what you have done to get help. "Without success" is not much to see what went wrong.
Did you shutdown Windows as recommended, so the partitions are not locked.
First Shutdown Windows full complete without any fastmode.
Further if possible try to disable "RAID" mode of the SATA controler and select "AHCI",
you do this with the BIOS/UEFI setup.
Reboot in Windows and open Device management to see whether you can shrink partition now.
If you really need to run in RAID mode their are other hurtles to overcome.
Further would you mind to try another USB stick, as "SanDisk model: Ultra Fit "
is known to have lot's issues when used as a USB-boot device.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

Yes, it's the RAID setting. This might help: https://askubuntu.com/questions/946480/ ... o-yoga-720

Specter88

#7 Post by Specter88 »

Got into my UEFI Firmware settings. Changed the default entry for the storage settings from RST (Intels Rapid Storage Technology) into AHCI and.... Lo and behold! It works!! :celebrate2:

Used the tutorial you posted
Stevo wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:37 pm This might help: https://askubuntu.com/questions/946480/ ... o-yoga-720
and got no further problems.

Thanks a lot guys, you avoided a lot of headache-filled-weekends for me :yay:

Return to “Installation”