"Sorry, unable to set root password" error during install

When you run into problems installing MX Linux XFCE
JJones

Re: "Sorry, unable to set root password" error during install

#11 Post by JJones »

I believe it was 30GB but it was my host operating system that was running out of space... and because it was a virtual 30GB MX might have been told there was plenty of that 30GB left... but Virtualbox couldn't allocate enough for the next growth of the virtual HD. There would've been less than 2GB left on my real HD.. probably much less.. such that Linux wouldn't give Virtualbox enough to grow the VHD.

I wonder if other occurences of this error were on virtual machine installs? I suspect so?

JJones

#12 Post by JJones »

In case someone asks...
I did find the associated bug report and put a comment there as well.
https://us-bz3.devzing.com/mx_antix/show_bug.cgi?id=9

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#13 Post by dolphin_oracle »

interesting thanks.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#14 Post by JayM »

I've encountered this as well, after having created a new partition on a hard drive with gparted and forgetting to check and adjust the partition's size before clicking apply. I forget the partition's default size but it was very small, perhaps 8MB (?), and I can't duplicate it now as I've updated my version of gparted from 0.25 to 0.33 in the MX test repo since then. This error always has to do with too small of a root partition though.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

mar101

#15 Post by mar101 »

this happened to me too. The thing is strange infact i have 40gb free. so what i've done is cancelled the installation process and went back to repartition with gparted. meaning i've deleted the partition which i wanna use for mx and set the necessary details , after that all went well...

Return to “Installation”