problems with gdebi

When you run into problems installing MX Linux XFCE
galaxysurfer

problems with gdebi

#1 Post by galaxysurfer »

Not sure what is going on. I am trying to install a .deb with gdebi. When I click on file I am getting error only one software package manager is allowed to run at a time. I am not running another one that I know of. I couldn't see a listing in task manager. How/where can I trouble shoot multiple instances of programs running? Is the related to apt-notifier, which I recently updated?

asqwerth
Developer

Re: problems with gdebi

#2 Post by asqwerth »

Did you leave synaptic or MX packageinstaller open when you clicked on the file?
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

galaxysurfer

#3 Post by galaxysurfer »

no I think this is related to the expired key issue. I used a posted fix but think I screwed up my setup more, because when apt-notifier sends an update notice I can't successfully update. how can i fix this without having to reinstall mx linux.

asqwerth
Developer

#4 Post by asqwerth »

Don't install anything from a .deb file first.

A few questions:

1) have you actually applied the fixes to the expired key issue? If not, just go to Synaptic, refresh/reload the packages (ignore warning notice), use search function to look for "keyring". You'll see a search result package that is marked as being upgradeable. Click and just update THAT package. Then reload synaptic again and if there are no further warning messages you can update all upgradeable packages.

2) after that, close synaptic and try clicking on deb file again.

3) if there are problems, be more specific in describing the problem by simply selecting and copying all the text messages that shows up in the gdebi text/"terminal" window. (you may need to click on the "Details" arrow to unfold that window).

Paste the text contents in this thread bookended by the tags for code text. (that's the "< / >" button in this forum).

4) If you have applied keyring fix and updated your system already but still face problems with updating, then copy the text messages appearing in the apt-notifier terminal window that appears when you try to update your system. Paste contents in this thread as well.

If you don't give us more info, it's hard to guess what can be wrong with your system.

5) what deb file were you trying to install?
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

galaxysurfer

#5 Post by galaxysurfer »

okay got it sorted out. it was related to a failed sagetv install along with the gpg key issue. Once i got the partial install issue causing gdebi hang everything returned to normal.

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

I like to install local debs with apt instead, since I can see more of what's going on if there's a problem. Dolphin_oracle came up with a Thunar and Dolphin custom action to do that for deb files, but I've forgotten what the Thunar one was, since I use Dolphin and have that one packaged in kde-servicemenu-checkhash-installdebs. Another advantage is that it can install any number of debs at once, very useful when one depends on some of the others.

The Thunar one is somewhere here in a post soon after we started using MX 17...

MAYBL8
MX Packager

#7 Post by MAYBL8 »

Mine if I right click on the .deb file there is a choice for install deb

towwire

#8 Post by towwire »

MAYBL8 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:24 pm Mine if I right click on the .deb file there is a choice for install deb
That is what he's talking about: 'Install Deb Files'. It does not say it there but if you were to look customs actions the description would be this "Description: Install deb packages and dependencies with apt", that's the better way to go.
It is easier to fight for one's principles then to live up to them.

Stevo
Developer

#9 Post by Stevo »

Oh, he added it for Thunar! It's not documented in our changelogs or in the manual, but I think it's faster to use that method than gdebi.

towwire

#10 Post by towwire »

Stevo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:52 pm Oh, he added it for Thunar! It's not documented in our changelogs or in the manual, but I think it's faster to use that method than gdebi.
It's in MX17 and in my last install of MX18.1. They took out the ownership ones which I had to put back. Just thought you should know.
It is easier to fight for one's principles then to live up to them.

Return to “Installation”