#11 Post by wnmatson »

Good morning Gentlemen,

I have created a live usb using the dd command -

$ sudo dd if=/home/wnmatson/MX-18.1_x64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M
[sudo] password for wnmatson:
1381+0 records in
1381+0 records out
1448083456 bytes (1.4 GB, 1.3 GiB) copied, 93.4651 s, 15.5 MB/s

Upon accessing the Boot option Menu, the dd created USB, is indicated in the menu list as follows -

USB Hard Drive (UEFI) – Patriot Memory

Upon selecting said selection, I now get the following response -

Selected boot image did not Authenticate. Press Enter to Continue.

returned back to Boot option Menu.

And so, the HP now sees the USB Live stick, however does not seem to know what to do with it, and so does nothing.

Your thoughts ???

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

Re: HP DV6 Not recognizing MX18.1 installation Thumb Drive

#12 Post by j2mcgreg »

You say in post #9 that you have switched from UEFI to the legacy bios mode. If this is still the case, the legacy bios is not going to be able to utilize a usb drive created for the newer UEFI and you should rewrite the drive for the older system. Having said that, other people here have suggested that you install via a dvd and you seem to dodge the question --why?
HP 15; ryzen 3 5300U APU; 500 Gb SSD; 8GB ram
Aspire V5-571; CPU Intel I3; 500 GB SSD; Intel 2nd Gen Graphics; 8 GB Ram
Aspire XC-866; i3-9100; UHD 630; 8 GB ram; 1TB HDD

In Linux, newer isn't always better. The best solution is the one that works.

fehlix
Developer

#13 Post by fehlix »

wnmatson wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:34 am USB Hard Drive (UEFI) – Patriot Memory
Selected boot image did not Authenticate. Press Enter to Continue.
And so, the HP now sees the USB Live stick, however does not seem to know what to do with it, and so does nothing.

Your thoughts ???
Yes, as already requested please run from DVD and boot in BIOS (legacy) mode.
In addtion would you mind lettings us know what exact version of the Ubuntu ISO did work for you.
I might have a rough suspicion what's going on when you boot in secure UEFI mode with dd-dumped MX Linux ISO.
We probably have fixed a glitch which can be triggered, when there are more then one USB-sticks plugged in
or when the USB stick is not registered has the first hd0 (usb)-disk.
I have a build patch for this issue, but please confirm first that you can boot in legacy mode.
If legacy works, we can go from there, to see whether you need still the iso-patch.
Further when you boot successfully in legacy BIOS-mode,
please do post the output of these commands
from the terminal commandline:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxrz
and

lsblk -f
and

sudo fdisk -l
Thanks
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

wnmatson

#14 Post by wnmatson »

Gentlemen, SUCCESS!!!

With your help, not only have I booted MX LIVE on my old HP DV6, I actually fully installed it, all is working great!

Turns out that on my HP DV6, one must burn the USB ISO with the “dd command”, ensure that the machine is in Legacy boot mode, be certain that UEFI/EFI is disabled in the BIOS and save the configuration.

When booted to BIOS, of the many choices of what to boot from will be-

USB Hard Drive (UEFI) – Patriot Memory
USB Hard Drive - Patriot Memory

Patriot Memory being the brand name of the USB stick I used. Yours may be different.
Be certain to choose the non-UEFI selection i.e.

USB Hard Drive - Patriot Memory

A normal boot sequence will follow.

Everyone who responded, contributed to this successful conclusion, Thank You, to one and all!

BitJam
Developer

#15 Post by BitJam »

Kudos! :number1:

Thank you for the clear explanation and instructions on what is needed.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

fluidvoice

#16 Post by fluidvoice »

BitJam wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:42 pm It looks like you're making some progress!

How are you making the live-usb? Does the "Unknown File System" error occur before or after you get to the bootloader screen? If you are not doing it already, I suggest you try making a live-usb with a tool that uses the "dd" command such as our dd-live-usb CLI tool. I believe it is also an option in the GUI live-usb-maker tools.

Edit: Since you have already made a live-dvd, I think you should be able to get the live-dvd to boot using the right BIOS settings. This might have been the solution in the link I posted above. The live-dvd and a "dd" live-usb are the same bit for bit so they have the same file system.
I got this "Unknown File System" problem when I burned the USB flash drive using Etcher on Linux (see pic below of what partitions it created).
When I reformatted the drive as FAT and then used Unetbootin to burn the image it worked. So in my case the problem looks like Etcher related.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MX-Linux 18.1 Lenovo Ideapad G50-45, AMD A6-6310, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Realtek RTL8723BE WiFi,
Manjaro 18.03 Xfce k/4.19 Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15IKB, Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, Samsung EVO 850 SATA SSD, QCA9377 WiFi,

wnmatson

#17 Post by wnmatson »

Thank you fluidvoice,
I had used "Etcher" on Manjaro in the past. I could not get it to load on MX 18.1. Etcher is often highly advised and highly respected. As for me, I think using "dd" or live-usb-maker tool in MX Linux, is more reliable. TNX :)

Return to “Installation”