Skip options

When you run into problems installing MX Linux XFCE
ersxer

Skip options

#1 Post by ersxer »

Hello,
I want to know if I can skip some options in MX Linux.
In debian you can skip workgroup and domain. 1. How I can skip workgroup and domain in MX Linux ?
2. How I can use blocks instead of MB in GParted to resize/create disks ?
I wanted to skip root, but then I saw viewtopic.php?f=92&t=48877

manyroads

Re: Skip options

#2 Post by manyroads »

ersxer wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:29 pm Hello,
I want to know if I can skip some options in MX Linux.
In debian you can skip workgroup and domain. 1. How I can skip workgroup and domain in MX Linux ?
2. How I can use blocks instead of MB in GParted to resize/create disks ?
I wanted to skip root, but then I saw viewtopic.php?f=92&t=48877
Are you asking about the install process or something else?
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

Do you have any pressing reasons to skip these in the install? You can choose not to install samba to disable network sharing "workgroups". Your computer really requires a name (hostname), though.

if you're the only user, just use the same password for root and sudo to make things simpler.

ersxer

#4 Post by ersxer »

Stevo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:11 pm Do you have any pressing reasons to skip these in the install? You can choose not to install samba to disable network sharing "workgroups". Your computer really requires a name (hostname), though.

if you're the only user, just use the same password for root and sudo to make things simpler.
Thank you
I don't want to skip hostname, just workgroup and domain.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#5 Post by JayM »

ersxer wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:25 am
Stevo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:11 pm Do you have any pressing reasons to skip these in the install? You can choose not to install samba to disable network sharing "workgroups". Your computer really requires a name (hostname), though.

Thank you
I don't want to skip hostname, just workgroup and domain.
I think those are required during installation only because samba is installed and enabled by default, to make network filesharing with Windows PCs work right out of the box. You should be able to disable or uninstall samba in the live CD, then I think workgroup at least will no longer be required during installation (I don't know about domain.)
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#6 Post by Jerry3904 »

During installation you will see on Screen 6 a section 6d Service Settings (advanced)at the bottom with a button labeled "View." If you click on that you will see a new screen of the services that start up where you can uncheck samba. Images and comments in the Users Manual, Section 2.5.

Not sure if that will do what you want, though.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#7 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I believe the OP is talking about this part of the installer setup.
1.jpg
The workgroup field pre-populates the smb.conf samba configuration file with the name of a network share workgroup. If you aren't hosting files, it doesn't do anything whether the value is present or not. "workgroup" is the default workgroup name entry in smb.conf, so even if you skipped it, it would still be configured, so just leave the default if you don't have a preference.

Similar idea with domain, unless you are actually using domain features, the field doesn't do anything. that field populates "/etc/defaultdomain".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Return to “Installation”