New to Linux - problems running persistent live (cannot find linuxfs file)

When you run into problems installing MX Linux XFCE
AMuggleFromGallifrey

New to Linux - problems running persistent live (cannot find linuxfs file)

#1 Post by AMuggleFromGallifrey »

Hi, all! Sorry if this is a lengthy post.

I have tried to install MX Linux a few times, to no avail, as of yet. I was able to upload Linux Mint 19.1, but I like the minimalist look of MX Linux, so I would prefer to try that one out first.

Here are my computer specs:
Computer: Lenovo ideapad 320 (laptop)
Processor: AMD A12-9720P RAEDON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C + 8G, 2.70 GHz
RAM: 8.00
System type: 64-bit OS, x-64 based processor

I installed the ISO and (after checking the MD5 checksum) booted it up onto a USB flash drive using rufus-3.4. My particular USB stick is a 16 GB SanDisk Cruzer Dial.

I was able to load the program on my machine and pull up the step-by-step configuration. The problem is after I select how I want to install the system (what kind of persistence). Based on what I read, I selected the persistent_static version (option 4) (still not sure which of those is the best option). Then, it searches for a file (linuxfs) for 15 seconds, and after it times out, it says:

Fatal Error
Could not find file antiX/linuxfs

I also read about an issue with a different ScanDisk USB drive, and it was recommended that the user takes out the USB drive while the system is searching for that file. I tried that, and it asked me to create a new home directory. I had it do that, but then I got a desktop with a start menu and a blank welcome window, but I could not do anything. There was nothing in the box and nothing on the desktop. I had to power down the system manually because it appeared to not have loaded properly.

I would really appreciate some help!!!
Last edited by AMuggleFromGallifrey on Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Artim

Re: New to Linux - problems running persistent live (cannot find linuxfs file)

#2 Post by Artim »

Welcome to Linux! And to these forums.

"Peristence" is kinda new, and it doesn't always work on all hardware like we wish it would. But with MX-Linux it isn't really necessary!

I have never actually tried the "persistence" thing. I never needed to! I just assumed that any changes I made in the Live USB would not be saved, but I was just exploring anyway. Once I decided to install it, in ordinary install without persistence, I simply made those changes I wanted in the new installation. Then when I wanted persistence, I just used the MX Live USB Maker to make my own customized, Artimized MX-Linux mixture.

AMuggleFromGallifrey

#3 Post by AMuggleFromGallifrey »

Thanks for the post Artim!

I actually wasn't looking to do the live persistence either. I really just want to boot up a live version, I don't really need to save it. I just didn't know how to do that. I have a feeling I will have to re-install the ISO on my flash drive, but how do I just run the live version??

GuiGuy

#4 Post by GuiGuy »

Last edited by GuiGuy on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

seaken64

#5 Post by seaken64 »

AMuggleFromGallifrey wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:49 am I have tried to install MX Linux a few times, to no avail, as of yet. I was able to upload Linux Mint 19.1, but I like the minimalist look of MX Linux, so I would prefer to try that one out first.

I installed the ISO and (after checking the MD5 checksum) booted it up onto a USB flash drive using rufus-3.4. My particular USB stick is a 16 GB SanDisk Cruzer Dial.

I was able to load the program on my machine and pull up the step-by-step configuration. The problem is after I select how I want to install the system (what kind of persistence). Based on what I read, I selected the persistent_static version (option 4) (still not sure which of those is the best option). Then, it searches for a file (linuxfs) for 15 seconds, and after it times out
Hi and welcome to the forum. Linux can be baffling sometimes. I think you will get where you need to be with some patience. I'm relatively new here also but have 40 years of installing operating systems such as CP/M and DOS and Windows, and various flavors of Linux.

I apologize if this sounds like I'm picking on you, it is not my intent. But I do not understand the meaning of some of the words you have chosen. And I'm not sure others will understand what you are asking. Since this is a user forum designed to assist users of all types I think we need to define the terms better.

When you say "install" I was at first thinking you were trying to install MX to your hard disk. But then later you said you want a live system. I do not usually use the word install for a live USB. I have always said "Create" a live USB or LiveDVD. But I could be wrong here. Words change all the time and maybe others here understand the word "install" differently than I do. (As I see it you are trying to create a Live USB - correct?)

When you say "upload" Linux Mint does that mean you were successful in creating a live Mint USB and booting from that drive? The word upload is not usually used in this way. I would use the word create if I am putting on a USB or DVD, or install if I was putting system on the hard drive on a particular computer (even a Virtual Machine).

When you say you "booted it up" it sounded like you were describing the creating of the live USB, using Rufus as your creation tool. To me, "booting" has always meant loading the operating system to the hardware. I have never heard that term used to describe moving the OS files onto a removable device. But again, I could be wrong about this. I am of the older generation and I know that terms change. But it is confusing if we don't define our terms.

You then said you were able to "load the program" and there was a problem "after I select how I want to install". You then describe the error having to do with persistence. You later said you don't care about creating a persistent system. Loading the program means booting the USB? Selecting to install means you have successfully loaded the Live system and have now chosen to install it? Why would you install it if you want a LiveUSB system?

Are you trying to "install" MX to your computer? Or do you want a LIVE USB that you can use without having to install it on a specific computer? Or, are you just trying to boot a LiveUSB for a test run?

You might want to try Etcher, or another USB drive. Maybe your USB creation is not going well.

Seaken64
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

seaken64

#6 Post by seaken64 »

If you want a LiveUSB:

1. Create the USB from the .iso file. Others here may have to help you of you're having trouble with your particular USB. I always have success using my Logitech Lexar 8MB USB and either Rufus or Etcher, (or the LiveUSB tool in MX running on another system - which wont work for you until you get the OS running).

2. Boot from the newly created Live USB. Either hit Enter, or wait. It will boot into the Live OS on it's own.

If you have a properly created LiveUSB you do not need to do anything but hit Enter once the boot menu comes on screen. The first selection is always the Live MX system. If you don't hit enter it will just count down a timer and then boot the Live MX automatically. Don't make any changes with the F keys at first. Just let it boot and see what happens. If it fails then come back here and get instructions about the F keys, or read the online manual and the help screens.

https://www.mxlinux.org/user_manual_mx18/mxum.pdf
see section 2.4.2

Seaken64
Last edited by seaken64 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

skidoo

#7 Post by skidoo »

"Peristence" is kinda new, and it doesn't always work on all hardware like we wish it would. But with MX-Linux it isn't really necessary!
[ . . .]
I have never actually tried the "persistence" thing. I never needed to!
As a liveboot linux feature, persistence is not "new".
Specific to antiX and MX Linux, throughout my usage across several years, persistence has provided a flexible and reliable platform.

To anyone who has "never actually tried":
Here's an overview features and benefits page: the-most-extensive-live-usb-on-the-planet/

GuiGuy

#8 Post by GuiGuy »

Last edited by GuiGuy on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

fehlix
Developer

#9 Post by fehlix »

AMuggleFromGallifrey wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:49 am Fatal Error
Could not find file antiX/linuxfs
I would really appreciate some help!!!
OK, having read your post a couple of times, I think, I may understand the issue you are facing.
So you are actually facing a boot issue, with booting from the USB you made with Rufus.
Correct?
But before I posting my solution which may be a blind guess,
I may ask you to provide some more details and also to do some actions:

Please tell us what exact ISO of MX-Linux version you tried you have "wrote" with
help of Rufus onto the USB stick.

And also what option you have chosen, when using rufus ( ISO-mode or dd-mode, MSDOS or GPT partition table)

Please do a checksum verification of the downloaded iso.

Do you boot the laptop in UEFI or BISO(legacy) mode?

Now a first hint: Depending an the answer of the above questions,
you shall plug-out any other USB-sticks or USB-storage devices when trying to
boot with the usb-stick. As one of those constellations might trigger a booting "raise" condition,
which we are going to fix asap.

Thanks
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Return to “Installation”