News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

[SOLVED]HP Laptop Won't Run Correctly With MX-18 Live USB

JmaCWQ
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

[SOLVED]HP Laptop Won't Run Correctly With MX-18 Live USB

Post by JmaCWQ » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:06 am

Hello All,

Hope this hasn't been answered here already, I did use the forum search but it kept leaving out terms I wanted to search for & I never got any useful results.

I have a new HP 245 G6 laptop that has Windows 10 on it.
I'm trying to boot from a live January MX-18 snapshot I put on USB with MX Live USB Maker.
The MD5 of the ISO checked out ok and it works fine on the other 5 computers here, desktops and laptops.
I tried first with the default BIOS & never succeeded.
I've since disabled secure boot & enabled legacy boot in the BIOS with no luck.

When it starts it gets to the Desktop but apart from the Panel the rest of the screen remains black, it shows the outline & title bar of the MX Welcome window, and only black inside the outline.
If I click the mouse on the Desktop beside the Welcome the desktop shows as normal & so does the Welcome, but all I can successfully do is close the Welcome, after that everything just freezes.

I tried a snapshot of my copy of MX that I made on my Vaio, it got to the Desktop ok though the screen was sort of flashing, rolling, pulsing, showing everything but not displaying it properly, and it froze as soon as I tried to do anything with it.
Because of that I'm thinking it might be a graphics issue, but really have no idea where to start or what to try and would appreciate a little help.
The plan is to install MX-18 & wipe Windows 10 during the install, this is my Mum's new machine & she's not at all impressed with Win10 & wants to stay with MX.

Thanks
Last edited by JmaCWQ on Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pierre

Re: HP Laptop Won't Boot With MX-18 Live USB

Post by Pierre » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:00 am

okay, since you've disabled secure boot & enabled legacy boot in the BIOS,
and can at least boot into MX18 - - but, what about the video card? that sounds problematic.

can you boot that Live Media into Compatibility Mode ?
- that's often the 2nd item on the Boot Menu List
does that make any difference, in being about to get an working desktop?.

Frigo
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Frigo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:52 am

I have a new Lenovo that I tried and tried to USB boot. At some point, I came across a simple boot option that fixed my situation. Maybe it will work for you.

When you get to initial boot screen, select "e" (I think) to edit the boot option. After one of the existing commands, enter this: noapic

Then boot. I'm unsure what noapic does other than disabling advanced power options.

This simple command fixed my issue and now I run Mx full time.

Paul..
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by Paul.. » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:29 am

Asus Prime X470-Pro | AMD Ryzen 5 1400 (8 threads)
16 Gig DDR4 3000 | nVidia - GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Samsung 970 NVMe SSD | 860 500GB SSD

JmaCWQ
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JmaCWQ » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:40 am

can you boot that Live Media into Compatibility Mode ?
- that's often the 2nd item on the Boot Menu List
It doesn't make any difference, the same happens, gets to the black Desktop then freezes.
After one of the existing commands, enter this: noapic
Tried that one, it actually makes it a lot slower to get to the Desktop and when it does it's still the same, black then freezes.
Tried all of those too, the top 2 make no difference, if I use 'nolapic' it freezes on "Loading hardware specific modules..." and goes no further.

If I boot it UEFI it defaults to the 2nd entry down, neither that nor the top entry works, I also tried looking through the other options & tried the 'failsafe' option & the same happened with that.
I also went through the 3rd entry down & customised the boot menu stuff, where you set up the language, timezone, keyboard etc. etc., that also failed.
If I boot without UEFI hitting the F4 key then selecting acpi=off, no difference..........

:eek: Ooooh I just had a win by the looks of it, booted without UEFI and hit F6 set the entry there to Safe Video I think it said, now it's working correctly.

Thanks for the replies people, I'll install sometime tomorrow if I get the time & report back here how it goes :toast:

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stevo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:05 pm

Usually if you just disable Secure Boot, you can still install and boot with UEFI, though some machines make you go into the Setup options and fiddle with adding the MX efi file to the trusted list and then moving it to the top of the list if you also have Windows. Acers are like this, plus you have to password-protect the BIOS first before those other options become available. Jeesh!

JmaCWQ
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JmaCWQ » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:29 pm

This one asks you to enter a 4 digit code that it displays on the screen after saving changes to the BIOS, if you don't the changes are ignored.
I did see the option in the HP's boot menu to boot an efi file but didn't know what it meant so left it alone.
If I changed the boot order in BIOS (2 different spots that needs to be done with Legacy boot enabled) to put the USB stuff first, it'd only boot UEFI automatically from the stick.

I had to hit Escape when starting up, then F9 to get to the boot menu, then select the non-UEFI entry.
Before I enabled legacy booting I tried just disabling the secure boot, no go.
I fired up Win10 again at one stage to try again after turning off the Win10 fast start thingo so it would shut down completely, and it reset the BIOS back to Secure Boot on & Legacy Boot off 9_9

That was my first experience with Win10, after the initial setup & then a 2 and a half hour wait for updates, some of which eventually failed without completing, I had a play around with it's programs.
For something brand new I found it rather slow compared to what I'm used to, the software taking considerable time to open, though seemed to run ok once opened.
Hope that doesn't break the forum rules, it's not meant to trash/criticise Windows, just what I noticed in my very limited first experience with Win10.

On another note, the MX auto install using the entire disk went well, MX-18 is now up and running awesome as usual :cool:

I guess the thread title might be a little misleading too, as technically it did boot, just didn't run once booted, might edit the title to reflect that.

Return to “Installation”