News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.2 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Installing manually

darth.severus
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Installing manually

Post by darth.severus » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:37 pm

Hi,

I'd like to install MX using Btrfs in a Luks container. Is there a way to install MX manually, without the installer?
I need it to install where I want it to, not on a block device, but /dev/mapper/cryptboot/ without formatting or on /media/data/

Regards,
Sven
Acer Extensa 2519 with 4GB RAM v: V1.24 | Intel Celeron N3060 2.4 GHz | Intel HD Graphics 400 (Braswell)

darth.severus
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Installing manually

Post by darth.severus » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:28 pm

This problem wouldn't exist if there where one place a could take a look and know which parts of the live system has to go where. How do I rsync install the whole thing?

viewtopic.php?f=104&t=40106
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=42359
Acer Extensa 2519 with 4GB RAM v: V1.24 | Intel Celeron N3060 2.4 GHz | Intel HD Graphics 400 (Braswell)

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dolphin_oracle » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:37 pm

Maybe the copylinux routine in our installer source will help you

https://github.com/gazelle-installer/ga ... nstall.cpp

In the routine, the /mnt/antix directory is the target / folder for the installed system for the copy.

There is also a rsync command defined in the routine as the installer does have a hidden rsync feature for dev work.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18
lenovo s21e - MX-18, antiX-17.3.1 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

darth.severus
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by darth.severus » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:08 pm

Many thanks, I'm looking into it since yesterday and try to approach a solution.

I figure it's going to take a while to do it on my own, since this is the first time I try to understand a C++ program. Though, it's easier than I first thought.

However, I found the source of the current roadblock in the code:
'partion-info is-linux=/dev/mapper/whatever' throws the error '... is-linux only works on partions'.
This might be the only problem for people which have already setup the disc on their own, with some folders and subvolumes. More likely their will be some other problems after that one. I plan to report a little bit here while digging forward.

handydan918

Post by handydan918 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:27 pm

I haven't tried it lately, but ten years back, or so, I had a machine that the Mepis installer simply wouldn't work on, so I installed debian stable, and imported the Mepis repos.
Actually had a forum member rewrite my very awkward script into something much more elegant, that worked pretty nicely.
You might consider that approach, if it helps.

Return to “Installation”