News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.2 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Windows 10 and MX 18 dual boot install boot partition

moleman
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Windows 10 and MX 18 dual boot install boot partition

Post by moleman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:17 am

I'm attempting to install MX-18 64 bit version so that I can have a dual boot with my Windows 10 UEFI installation, and need some guidance. I've created partitions as can be seen here:
Gparted.png
I've also assigned root, home and swap to the respective partitions seen here:
Partitions.png
I'm not sure what to select for the "boot" location... Does the root option relate to the existing EFI folder that would contain the windows boot loader? The other options for "boot" location are the sda# partitions (ntfs and ext partitions). What should I select for "boot" location or should I be seeing a different option here for dual booting with Windows 10 with UEFI.

Additional Info:
Secure Boot is disabled
Previously had a uefi linux lite (experimental?) install that gave me issues booting - decided to try MX

Any guidance would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

j2mcgreg
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Windows 10 and MX 18 dual boot install boot partition

Post by j2mcgreg » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:30 pm

"Root" is the correct response in this case since you are designating the location of the MX 18 configuration files for Grub.
Acer Aspire 3 A315-41-R2W5, AMD Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega Mobile Graphics, 8 GB ram, 1000 TB hdd

moleman
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by moleman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:23 pm

Thank you for responding. So "root", which I assume would be sda5 in my case, is just the location of where the configuration files for Grub will be installed, but not Grub itself. Grub would actually be installed on sda2 which is where my EFI partition is located? I didn't see my scenario in the manual, so I was hesitant to do anything.

philotux
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by philotux » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:20 pm

moleman wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:23 pm
Grub would actually be installed on sda2 which is where my EFI partition is located?
Later on in the installation process, you will come to a window where you are asked to choose the location for the installation of the bootloader. Since this is an install in UEFI-mode, it will default to esp, iirc, which is your EFI-system partition at /dev/sda2. You will get a dialogue box as well to confirm your choice.

moleman
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by moleman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:21 pm

@philotux I finished the installation and it did default to ESP at /dev/sda2 as you mentioned and I confirmed this option.
BcbWNtP.png
However, when I boot my system, Grub doesn't provide an option to boot to Windows 10.

I used to MX Boot Repair tool and ran Repair Grub configuration. This is a screen capture from Grub location. It defaulted to my ext 4 / partition which is where I assume the grub.cfg will be generated. I couldn't change it to sda2 EPS location.
Grub-location.png
This is the log from the Grub configuration. It doesn't look like it's finding windows.
Grub-config-generation.png
Any advice on how to get Grub to see Windows and provide it as an option?

I don't know if this issue is related to my original question/concern about the boot partition.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

philotux
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by philotux » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:30 pm

Did you run the boot-repair from the installed system or your live USB? I am actually at a loss as to explain why Grub didn't capture Windows at the first place. You might want to boot up from the live usb and run boot-repair from there and see if it will give the option to install the grub at /dev/sda2.

moleman
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by moleman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:12 pm

I switched back to another distro for now, but running the boot repair from the live usb may very well fix the issue. I will investigate when I have some time. Thanks for your time and help!

philotux
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by philotux » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:26 pm

You are welcome!
Good luck!

Return to “Installation”