News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-18.1 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.3.1 release info here

New users[/u
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

help with partitions

moomoo
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

help with partitions

Post by moomoo » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:26 am

I hope some one can help me a bit with partitioning. I installed another distro alongside windows. I did it by creating to partitions and choosing to install on the empty one. It seem to work fine. However when I wanted to install mxlinux instead the partitioning greeting me was really strange. I have taken a screenshot here
Skærmbillede fra 2019-01-27 12-22-59.png

If I can just delete the linux partion and install mx instead. But this is extremely confusing. I really dont know what happened.

I hope someone can help me,
thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: help with partitions

Post by asqwerth » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:07 am

I assume your other distro alongside windows is the one in sda5.

You're using the traditional msdos-style partition table where you can have 3 primary partitions and a 4th extended partition which can be subdivided into many separate smaller logical partitions.

So what was done on your computer was that you had 3 primary partitions, all formatted in ntfs format, and presumably these were Window-related partitions. You then had sda4 which was the extended partition, and then you used up the WHOLE of the space inside sda4 to create a logical partition called sda5 which contained your other distro.

So now from your live MX iso, you need to open the partitioning tool, Gparted, and:

1. select sda5 and delete it. Your sda4 will now be empty and not hold any sda5 partition within.

2. [optional] if you want sda4 to be larger, you'll need to select sda2 and shrink it from the right (only 46.77GB of 139 GB is being used currently, so you could probably reduce the overall to 90GB? ). Don't shift/move the left side of the Windows partition as that bit is where the booting stuff is.

3. [optional] select sda4 and either delete it and then create a fresh sda4 extended partition the full size of the unallocated space, OR you can select sda4 and increase the size of the partition to the left, to take up the spce left behind when you shrank sda2.

4. select sda4, and choose to create a smaller logical partition within. Don't use up the whole space of sda4, as you might want another partition created within, for swap. Swap should be 2x the size of your RAM. So if you have 8GB RAM, save about 16GB of that space for the swap partition.

5. if you created the logical partition correctly, it should be sda5, nestled within sda4, with a size of about (sda4 size minus 2xRAM).

6. then select the left over unallocated space within sda4 and create a swap partition.

Now when you run the MX installer, choose custom partitions, and install / (root) in sda5 and assign the swap partition accordingly.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

srq2625
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by srq2625 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:27 am

If I read you post correctly, you want to remove the other Linux install and install MX Linux instead.

IF this is the case, there is no need to delete anything. Just direct the MX Linux installer to install into /dev/sda5, formatting that partition in the process.

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Eadwine Rose » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:37 am

Yup.. MX will take care of the formatting for you.
MX-18_x64 20-12-2018 * 4.19.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 390.87 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingston * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy5030

seaken64
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by seaken64 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:16 pm

I usually use the setup described by asqwerth. Use the Extended partition to create the / partition and a swap partition. Then when the installer asks choose to use the existing partitions and choose sda5 for / and sda6 for swap (or whatever the correct numbers are after gparted does it's thing). I usually give the / linux partition a lable when setting up the partitions in gparted so I can easily choose it from the drop down list in the installer.

Seaken64
MX-18 on Thinkpad R61i Core2 Laptop. MX-18/W7 on HP Core2 Desktop
Xubuntu 18.04 on HP i7 Core4 Laptop - MX VM, antiX VM, W7 VM
antiX-17 on Compaq P-III Desktop, Multi-boot Slackware, Debian, MX, W2K
antiX-17 on Celeron M Laptop Dual-boot with XP-SP2

Return to “Installation”