News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.2 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Installation with multiple SSD & HDD

towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Installation with multiple SSD & HDD

Post by towwire » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:47 am

philotux wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:19 am

I am not saying that for an installation in UEFI-mode you don't need an EFI-system partition which will be mounted at /boot/efi in the root filesystem. That's a must and that is where Grub is installed.

What I am saying is that, that is different from having a separate boot partition mounted at /boot in the root filesystem. This is usually not a must for an installation in UEFI-mode.

None of my installs in UEFI-mode does have a separate boot partition, but they all do have an EFI-system partition.
That is all that was shown in my original disk list. If you are not using UEFI mode then it is the MBR that tells where to boot. I would have though you understood that since you do UEFI. Sorry this is like the glass half full or half empty.

towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by towwire » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:56 am

figueroa wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:29 am
This is highly personal and technical. Consider that UEFI and GPT are the newer systems for going forward, I recommend it, though with fear and trembling. On my newest personal system I used msdos partitioning and legacy booting, but I'm sorry about that choice as it was not very forward thinking of me. I suggest:

Create new partition table on the drive(s), type gpt (not ms-dos).
Create sda1 first 512 meg type fat32 (for UEFI) This is big enough for future needs, storing many kernels, etc.
Create sdb1 linux-swap partition 2-8 gig (if you have plenty of space, do 8 gig and putting swap on the secondary hard drive is a good idea)
Create sda2 for / size to suit your tastes, but probably to fill up the rest of sda, ext4 (because I'm comfortable with ext4 and it's stable and not subject to developer whims)

All other partitions to suit your tastes and needs. Dedicate plenty of space on one of your secondary hard drives for regular backups of whatever you deem important.

You are new to Linux but starting out with four a high end system with four hard drives. That's jumping into the deep end. I suggest putting the larger SSD and one of the 3T hard drives aside and grow your system incrementally as you need it.
I agree with most of what you say but if he has 64GB ram then he do not need a swap partition. My system has 32GB ram and I never used over 5g of memory. I do a lot of video editing and conversion.

philotux
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by philotux » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:03 am

towwire wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:47 am
If you are not using UEFI mode then it is the MBR that tells where to boot. I would have though you understood that since you do UEFI. Sorry this is like the glass half full or half empty.
Thanks for this engaging conversation!

I think either I must have misunderstood something fundamentally basic or I am using wrong wording when referring to different partitions and their mountpoints. Or both!

At any rate, I am content that all my UEFI-installs work rather well.

cheers,
philotux

towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by towwire » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:17 am

philotux wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:03 am
towwire wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:47 am
If you are not using UEFI mode then it is the MBR that tells where to boot. I would have though you understood that since you do UEFI. Sorry this is like the glass half full or half empty.
Thanks for this engaging conversation!

I think either I must have misunderstood something fundamentally basic or I am using wrong wording when referring to different partitions and their mountpoints. Or both!

At any rate, I am content that all my UEFI-installs work rather well.

cheers,
philotux
No problem. I'm happy with my UEFI-install too. I have noted that sometimes we don't always fully understand what we read as I have been asked for something that was in one of my previous posts. I just wanted to know what he has so to best advise or my opinion anyway.
Have a good day.
towwire

towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by towwire » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:23 am

Sorry Dire-Mech I think we sidetrack your post. I take it that both hard drives are the same model. Since you have win10 it would be nice to know where it is and how much is on the drives. If one of the sdd could be empty and one of the hard drives too. Then we could give you an idea on partitioning etc. to install MX. Then you could dual boot win10 or if nothing there to keep, get rid of it. If your not doing windows then you don't need windows formatted drives.

You can use the live cd/dvd to boot MX-18 and then post the results using the 'Quick System Info' from the menu since it copies it to the clipboard making it easy to paste into your post between code tags.

Dire-Mech
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Dire-Mech » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi towwire,
I will be doing away with win10 & only have Linux it on it.
So I will have 4 freshly formatted disk drives GPT.

One will be the samsung 970 evo 250Gb NVMe M.2 drive freshly formatted.
One will be the samsung 970 evo 500GB NVMe M.2 drive freshly formatted.
The other two are both seagate 3TB HDD both freshly formatted.

I can remove any of the drives if need be.

250 GB would be sda
500GB would be sdb
3TB would be sdc
3TB would be sdd

Thanks everyone so far for the help.

towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by towwire » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:40 pm

Ok, Here is what I would do, but hopefully someone else will chime in too.
1. Go into your Bios and disable Secure boot and fast boot if they are there.
2. Use Gparted to make sda1 100 MiB format fat 32 set flags to boot, esp for Uefi
3. Make sda2 for your root, mine is 25 GiB with 10 GiB free
4. Make sda3 for your home, mine is 50 GiB with 22 GiB free
5. Then you can install MX and think about how you want organize the rest later.
6. With the amount memory I still don't think you need a swap. I did have one but it never got used, so no more.

I use to want a lot of drives in my system but when they don't get use it does not make since to have them running all the time. I have gone well over 6 months without shutting down and then only because of a power outage. You might think about using the 2 3TB drives in a docking station for backups and storage, just a though.

Return to “Installation”