News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-18.1 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.3.1 release info here

New users[/u
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

dual boot: (Windows + MX)

ada
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: dual boot: (Windows + MX)

Post by ada » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:36 pm

BitJam,

Could you please guide me on how we can add 'vmd' module?. Please see my last on why I want to do this.
-Ada

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by BitJam » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:26 pm

Sorry, our posts may have crossed or something. For an installed system add "vmd" to the list in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and then rerun update-initramfs. If you want to do a new install then do the edit before you do the install. If you want to change it on your existing system then you can chroot into that system, edit the file and then run update-initramfs. I can give you instructions or a little script to do the chroot.

Alternatively, if /live/bin/unpack-initrd works on the Debian initramfs file then you can use that to unpack the initramfs file into an initrd/ directory it creates, add the directory (if needed) and the module under initrd/ and then repack it.

Code: Select all

/live/bin/unpack-initrd -f $INITRAMFS _FILE
#  Add the missing module under initrd/lib/modules/...
sudo /live/bin/unpack-initrd -f $INITRAMFS_FILE -r
HTH
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by BitJam » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:37 pm

Ada, I am truly sorry you have run into so many problems with MX. I'm sorry too that we could not do more to help you in the moment. But news of your plight has not fallen on deaf ears. We will be adding the vmd module to our live initrd and the list of modules added to the installed initrd. In addition our devs are working on a tool that will make it easier to "chroot" into an installed system from the live system so you can make repairs and a tool that will unpack and repack the new Debian initrd files. Either one of these would have made it much easier for you to repair your system.

As you discovered, the vmd bug is from upstream (either Debian or the kernel) but we feel responsible for fixing the problem in MX ASAP and also to provide tools that will make it easier for people to fix similar problems in the future. When the two new tools are ready I will try to attach them to a post in this thread.

I'm sorry we failed you but I am grateful you have given us impetus to fix and improve MX.

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by BitJam » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:44 pm

FWIW, I've attached a tarball with two programs in it: chroot-linux and unpack-initrd-2.

The first tool should allow you to "chroot" into your installed system from the live-usb. You would run it like this:

sudo ./chroot-linux /media/mx-root
Where I'm guessing your installed system is mounted at /media/mx-root. You could do the simple edit to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and then run update-initramfs. When you are done "exit" will get you out of the chroot.

The other program unpack-initrd-2 will allow you to unpack and repack the /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-1-amd64 file. You would run it like this:

./unpack-initrd-2 --from /media/mx-root/boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-1-amd64

# add modules for the live system to under 
# the initrd/lib/modules/4.19.0-1-amd64/ directory

sudo ./unpack-initrd-2 --from /media/mx-root/boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-1-amd64 -r
The "-r" tells the program to reverse what it normally does and repack the initramfs file from the initrd/ directory it created.

PS Other testers are welcome but feedback should be in a new thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Installation”