News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-18 Final release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.3 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Installs fine (I think) but won’t boot

gasman
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Installs fine (I think) but won’t boot

Post by gasman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:51 pm

Hi guys
New to the forum and Mxlinux!. I have a small Asus notebook ( 2 gig ram,32g drive) which has happily been running Windows 10, Kubuntu,Ubuntu, Linux Mint etc all 64 bit versions but want to install Mx on it now but can’t get the install to boot but just keep getting the blue window ‘boot fail’. Running the live usb drive Mxlinux x64 works like a dream even smoother than the other os’s I’ve had. I created the usb using Rufus on my Win 10 desktop the same as all the os’s.
I choose the desktop icon ‘install’ ,then select ‘use the whole drive’ and let Mx divide the whole drive as it wants like all the other distro’s I’ve tried , I select the mbr option (I tried all 3 options also) get to the end when it says ‘reboot without the install media’, turn off the pc, remove the usb, turn back on then ‘boot failed’ !!!!
I did have a try with gpart choosing just 2 primary partitions like someone suggested but couldn’t find how to enable the boot flag, must admit to being a stranger to gpart as I’ve always let the distro do its thing with the whole drive. I’ve also tried 3 different usb drives all same problem.
Any idea what I’m doing wrong please as I seem to have run out of options?
Thanks
Steve

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Installs fine (I think) but won’t boot

Post by Adrian » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:05 pm

I’ve also tried 3 different usb drives all same problem.
Did you install on external drive or the internal drive of the laptop? If you install on external drive are you sure you select it from BIOS to boot from that particular drive at start? Also if you run from USB drives is probably better to keep running live with persistency (and/or remastering)

It might be an issue with the BIOS settings does that Asus notebok use UEFI? Can you check in BIOS to see what option you have enabled, you might need to select "Legacy BIOS" or something like that.

gasman
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by gasman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:14 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Adrian!. It’s installed on the laptop internal drive, and yes it does use uefi. I have noticed a couple of posts about problems with Asus motherboards but then surely it wouldn’t run properly with the live usb stick? Also tried the 32 bit 386 iso live usb to see if it will run but that stuck on the start up screen.
Regards
Steve

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:27 pm

check to see that "secure boot" is disabled in your UEFI settings.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18
lenovo s21e - MX-18, antiX-17.3.1 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Return to “Installation”