News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.2 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Unknown filesystem error prevents usb boot

kendew
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Unknown filesystem error prevents usb boot

Post by kendew » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:28 pm

Hi,
I'm hoping this is something simple. I've been trying to install MX 18, using dd to create a bootable USB stick as I've done with so many distros. As far as MXLinux, this was no problem with MX17 or even 18 Beta, but with the latest MX-18_x64.iso, on attempting to boot, I get an unknown file system error. I've tried downloading again and burning again, but no luck.
What am I missing? Any help appreciated.
Kendew

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Unknown filesystem error prevents usb boot

Post by dolphin_oracle » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:43 pm

no idea. but try one of the failsafe boot options and see if its any better.

I would also check the usb stick to make sure the image has actually been burned and there isn't any conflicting information left behind from previous burns. that does happen sometimes.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18
lenovo s21e - MX-18, antiX-17.3.1 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

BitJam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BitJam » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:52 pm

It works fine here with both legacy boot and UEFI boot. I created a dd live-usb using the dd-live-usb utility and the MX-18_x64.iso file. The md5 of the iso file is:

Code: Select all

8ced4f1f53eada3317f029c2bae17136  MX-18_x64.iso
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

BitJam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BitJam » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:03 pm

If the error comes after we look for the linuxfs file then I suggest you use the "md5" cheat (either legacy or UEFI) which will check the integrity of the linuxfs file before we try to mount it. That cheat can by typed in; it is also available via the "F5 Options" menu (legacy) and the Options text menu (UEFI).

kendew
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by kendew » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:30 pm

Thanks for replies. I have to eat humble pie by admitting I really don't understand what "md5" chat is. First time to hear it. Maybe some more info will offer useful clue as to what's going on.
When trying to boot from USB stick on this ThinkPad, I press F12 key which gives boot options, then choose the USB device. About four lines flash past extremely fast before the Unknown filesystem error appears. The first may be helpful:

Can't open file /UEFI/BOOT/fallback.ref 14
Or something like that. It's flashing by so fast it's very hard to read.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Jerry3904 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:40 pm

When you don't know something like that, try the Users Manual:

Alt-F1
Ctrl-F
Md5

Or just a web search
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB
Personal: XPS 13, 4.18.0-19.3-liquorix, 4 GB

BitJam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BitJam » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:03 pm

kendew wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:30 pm
Thanks for replies. I have to eat humble pie by admitting I really don't understand what "md5" chat is. First time to hear it. Maybe some more info will offer useful clue as to what's going on.
The "md5" cheat will cause us to check the integrity of the linuxfs file before we try to mount it. But if you are not even getting to the bootloader then you can't use any cheats so this advice won't help. It is important for us to know when during the boot process you encounter the error so we know what system needs to be fixed.
kendew wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:30 pm
When trying to boot from USB stick on this ThinkPad, I press F12 key which gives boot options, then choose the USB device. About four lines flash past extremely fast before the Unknown filesystem error appears. The first may be helpful:

Can't open file /UEFI/BOOT/fallback.ref 14
Or something like that. It's flashing by so fast it's very hard to read.
I think that error message is normal. I believe we can get rid of it by adding another redundant file for UEFI booting of dd live-usbs.

Are you getting the "unknown file system" error before you get to the bootloader? If so then the fault might be in the BIOS/EFI of your computer. You could try booting legacy (you may have to allow this in your BIOS settings before it shows up in your F12 menu). We could also try to fix this problem on our end by adding the grub iso9660.mod module to the small EFI partition used for boot "dd" live-usbs via UEFI. But I don't know why it works without that module on many systems.

You could also try using our live-usb-maker software to make the live-usb. If you already have an antiX or MX system then this should be easy-peasy. If not, then you can install git (if it is not already installed) and follow the instructions in my live-usb-maker repo which I repeat here:

sudo apt-get update       # if needed
sudo apt-get install git  # if needed
git clone https://github.com/BitJam/live-usb-maker
git clone https://github.com/BitJam/cli-shell-utils
cd live-usb-maker
sudo ./live-usb-maker
The first two lines are only needed if you don't have git already installed.

Return to “Installation”