News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.1 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

[SOLVED] Upgrading between major versions

Klaas Vaak
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

[SOLVED] Upgrading between major versions

Post by Klaas Vaak » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:44 am

For an upgrade between major versions, such as from 16 to 17 or 17 to 18, is it necessary to uninstall the old version and then install the new version?
If so, does that mean that all one's settings are lost and have to be re-established?
Last edited by Klaas Vaak on Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richb
Administrator

Re: Upgrading between major versions

Post by richb » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:50 am

Look at this migration page:
https://mxlinux.org/migration
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Klaas Vaak
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Klaas Vaak » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:08 am

@richb: OK, that's clear. So my question should have referred to a major version change on Debian. Here is what it says on the page you linked to:
From MX-16 or MX-16.1 (or earlier) to MX-17. Not supported because of base shift from Debian 8 to 9
So, am I right when I say that a major Debian version change means an equivalent upgrade on the MX involves an unistallation of the old MX version and an installation of the new MX version? And if so, what happens to the settings of the old MX version?

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Jerry3904 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:27 am

Yes, we recommend reinstalling when the Debian base changes major version.

About Home: many of us have that on a separate partition so the question is less critical. In any case, the recommended technique is to back up Home, then copy back whatever will not conflict with new Debian settings.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB
Personal: XPS 13, 4.18.0-19.3-liquorix, 4 GB

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:33 am

Klaas Vaak wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:08 am
@richb: OK, that's clear. So my question should have referred to a major version change on Debian. Here is what it says on the page you linked to:
From MX-16 or MX-16.1 (or earlier) to MX-17. Not supported because of base shift from Debian 8 to 9
So, am I right when I say that a major Debian version change means an equivalent upgrade on the MX involves an unistallation of the old MX version and an installation of the new MX version? And if so, what happens to the settings of the old MX version?
Unsupported means that a new installation is recommended. You do not have to uninstall the old version, the new will overwrite the old. All settings will be erased in the Home directory. I would not advise saving home as any new Debian packages may have different configurations required, although some users have saved home and have had some success.. You may try saving home and have to fiddle with some configurations. And in any case packages you installed will have to be reinstalled. They will pick up the existing configurations if Home is saved.
I would do a backup of home before install.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by asqwerth » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:02 am

Preserving of /home can take place even if your home isn't in a separate partition but merely a folder in /root.

I've preserved /home folder using the option in the installer, when installing MX17 (Debian Stretch) over an MX15/16 (Jessie) installation that only had one partition in /dev/sdb15.

After that, of course I had to reinstall some of the programs that did not come as default in MX17, but their settings and configs were all there already in /home.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Klaas Vaak
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Klaas Vaak » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:08 pm

@Jerry3904: thanks for that. Richb does not recommend reusing the Home directory, as he explains above.
Last edited by Klaas Vaak on Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Klaas Vaak
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Klaas Vaak » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:11 pm

@richb: thanks for your feedback. I understand why you say not to reuse the Home directory. It is a risk, which, if it happens, can have nasty consequences. OTOH the alternative is to start from scratch: OK, you don't have to uninstall the old version, but all of the rest, even the settings of your installed programs, i.e. settings which are in the Home directory, are lost.
That is very disheartening.

Klaas Vaak
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Klaas Vaak » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:13 pm

@asqwerth: you are taking a risk by reusing the old Home directory. If it works it was worth it, if it does not you're up the creek, if I understand ricb's comment above.

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by asqwerth » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:54 pm

Klaas Vaak wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:13 pm
@asqwerth: you are taking a risk by reusing the old Home directory. If it works it was worth it, if it does not you're up the creek, if I understand ricb's comment above.
Not really. If things go wonky for a particular program, just remove the .dot file or dot folder configuration settings from /home again, and you get a clean unconfigured version of the program again, at least in my experience. And I wouldn't reuse a different distro's /home for MX. It's like for like, ie, old MX home, same desktop environment.

Also, I believe it doesn't really affect Firefox, because a new user profile with a long randomly-generated user directory name will be created anyway. So I remove the whole old user profile directory after reinstall.

I save all my data and media, including my FF bookmarks, in a shared Data partition and always have it on hand to re-import back to any distro I install. No real worries for me about messing up any install, honestly.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “Installation”