Welcome!
Important information
-- Information on torrent hosting changes
-- Information on MX15/16 GPG Keys
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities

News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.1 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX-18 encryption [solved]

User avatar
Mauser
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:32 pm

MX-18 encryption [solved]

#1

Post by Mauser » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:08 pm

I just installed MX-18 on my Acer laptop that I had MX-17.1 on which worked fine. But when I installed MX-18 I selected an encrypted installation but when I boot and enter the correct password it says "cryptsetup failed, bad password or options?" How do I get it to work?
Last edited by Mauser on Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am command line illiterate. :confused:

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 10880
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: MX-18 encryption

#2

Post by dolphin_oracle » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:12 pm

hmm.... what keyboard setup did you have when you set up the luks password?
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18
lenovo s21e - MX-18, antiX-17.3.1 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

User avatar
chrispop99
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: MX-18 encryption

#3

Post by chrispop99 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:12 pm

The obvious reason is an incorrect password I guess.

I can only say that I tested encryption on a number of installs during development, and have used it subsequently, without a problem.

Chris
Test machines:
32-bit non-PAE - Thinkpad T41, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM.
32-bit PAE - DELL Latitude D610, 1.73GHz Pentium M, 2GB RAM.
64-bit - Lenovo T61, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
64-bit - Gigabyte Z77P-D3, Intel i3-3220, GeForce 8400 GS, 4GB PC3-12800.

User avatar
Mauser
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:32 pm

Re: MX-18 encryption

#4

Post by Mauser » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:13 pm

The standard keyboard that comes with my laptop.
I am command line illiterate. :confused:

User avatar
anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 6081
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:40 am

Re: MX-18 encryption

#5

Post by anticapitalista » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:13 pm

You might need to Alt Shift at the password prompt, then type it in. I have to do this with by Greek/English set up.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

User avatar
Mauser
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:32 pm

Re: MX-18 encryption

#6

Post by Mauser » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:14 pm

chrispop99 wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:12 pm
The obvious reason is an incorrect password I guess.

I can only say that I tested encryption on a number of installs during development, and have used it subsequently, without a problem.

Chris
Wrong, because I entered the correct password.
I am command line illiterate. :confused:

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 10880
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: MX-18 encryption

#7

Post by dolphin_oracle » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:16 pm

Mauser wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:14 pm
chrispop99 wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:12 pm
The obvious reason is an incorrect password I guess.

I can only say that I tested encryption on a number of installs during development, and have used it subsequently, without a problem.

Chris
Wrong, because I entered the correct password.
the other option is to boot live, and try to access the partition from the thunar, which will ask for a password, and see if that works.

remembering that the luks password is separate from the user or root passwords, which I'm sure you know but I post here for folks that might come later.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18
lenovo s21e - MX-18, antiX-17.3.1 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

User avatar
Mauser
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:32 pm

Re: MX-18 encryption

#8

Post by Mauser » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:19 pm

anticapitalista wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:13 pm
You might need to Alt Shift at the password prompt, then type it in. I have to do this with by Greek/English set up.
Thanks but that didn't work. The dialog box is there to enter the password but it keeps on saying it's incorrect. I definitely typed the correct password.
I am command line illiterate. :confused:

User avatar
Mauser
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:32 pm

Re: MX-18 encryption

#9

Post by Mauser » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:20 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:16 pm
Mauser wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:14 pm
chrispop99 wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:12 pm
The obvious reason is an incorrect password I guess.

I can only say that I tested encryption on a number of installs during development, and have used it subsequently, without a problem.

Chris
Wrong, because I entered the correct password.
the other option is to boot live, and try to access the partition from the thunar, which will ask for a password, and see if that works.

remembering that the luks password is separate from the user or root passwords, which I'm sure you know but I post here for folks that might come later.
You mean I must have a different password for Luks than for Root?
I am command line illiterate. :confused:

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 10880
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: MX-18 encryption

#10

Post by dolphin_oracle » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:22 pm

Mauser wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:20 pm
dolphin_oracle wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:16 pm
Mauser wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:14 pm


Wrong, because I entered the correct password.
the other option is to boot live, and try to access the partition from the thunar, which will ask for a password, and see if that works.

remembering that the luks password is separate from the user or root passwords, which I'm sure you know but I post here for folks that might come later.
You mean I must have a different password for Luks than for Root?
no, just that they aren't necessarily the same unless you set it up that way.

one other thing you could try is to edit the grub entry to remove the "splash" and see if entering the password at plain text prompt works any better.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18
lenovo s21e - MX-18, antiX-17.3.1 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Post Reply

Return to “Installation”