News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Dual install MX18 and PopOS on System76 Oryx-Pro

curtvaughan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Dual install MX18 and PopOS on System76 Oryx-Pro

Post by curtvaughan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:35 pm

I recently purchased a System76 Oryx-Pro laptop. I resized and repartitioned the PopOS preinstalled system to allow for multiple OS boots. The complication is that PopOS is configured with systemd-boot, whereas toward the end of the MX18 installation, the installer wants to install GRUB. I'm afraid that if I let it configure and install GRUB that it will make my already installed PopOS installation non-bootable, so I disallowed the GRUB install. The net result is that on reboot, the systemd boot loader only sees PopOS. I guess I have two questions (this isn't specifically with MX, as I am sure I'll have similar issues with other GRUB defaulted installations):

1) How can I get the systemd boot loader to see the MX partition (or is that possible)?

or, alternatively,

2) If I let the MX installer install GRUB, will GRUB be able to detect PopOS as well as MX?

I don't particularly care which boot loader I use, though this is my first experience with systemd boot loader. If allowing MX to install GRUB will allow a successful dual/multi-boot I'd be happy with it.

Thanks for any suggestions. I have also sent out a query to the System76 folks about this, but still haven't heard back.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Dual install MX18 and PopOS on System76 Oryx-Pro

Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:01 pm

My understanding is that this will update the systemd bootloader

Code: Select all

bootctl update
do this from your popOS install.

I think you could also install grub through our installer, and if you wanted, go back to systemd boot by using your system's UEFI/bios utility to choose the popOS efi as teh default boot. Our efi shouldn't over write anyone else's.

I don't have any actual experience with systemd boot or popOS though so take my advice with a grain of salt.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18.3
lenovo s21e - antiX-19 beta 2 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stevo » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:57 pm

It seems that it might be tricky to get it really working well with any other Linux than PoPOS, though maybe we can port over those GPU switcher applets from their PPA.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxhardware/ ... pressions/

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by asqwerth » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:51 pm

systemd bootloader? Talk about even more encroachment....
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

skidoo
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by skidoo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:30 am

https://old.reddit.com/r/pop_os/

yesterday, a topic titled improving_the_dual_booting_experience

also, a link to previous "boot" topics within the Pop_OS subreddit: https://old.reddit.com/r/pop_os/search? ... rict_sr=on

curtvaughan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by curtvaughan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:57 pm

Thanks for all of your input. It turns out that allowing the MX installer to install GRUB worked, and I'm able to boot both MX and PopOS. I want to experiment/investigate Dolphin_Oracle's suggestion in executing "bootctl update" from the PopOS installation, just to see how that works with the systemd-boot.

Not directly related to this, but in alignment with the way the Oryx-Pro issues arise with various distributions, Arch based distros - in my case, ArcoLinux - have problems booting the Live USB for installation, running into issues with the kernel attempting to load NVIDIA drivers during the boot process, rather than having that being processed by X after boot time. It is suggested by a PopOS dev that introducing a "nomodeset" parameter into the kernel at boot may fix that issue - I still need to try it. The MX18 Live USB had no issue with that, though after installation, I still can't get MX to work correctly in using the NVIDIA card onboard (GTX 1060) - the screen just goes blank after boot with a blinking cursor. I understand that the latest MX18 release has some issues with NVIDIA drivers that dev's are aware of, but just an f.y.i. That is a bit of a separate issue from the systemd-boot vs. GRUB.

BTW, I'm well aware of the philosophical issues with systemd, as per mentioned by asqwerth, but for better or worse it is a thing to be dealt with these days. If I can get GRUB to boot up my needed systems on the Oryx-Pro, I'm just as happy with that; if I can also figure out how to get multiboot working well with systemd-boot, all the better. Thanks again for all of your input! I'll post as things progress. I really appreciate MX as being a reliable, interesting Debian based desktop system - my favorite desktop with a Debian flavor (which is why I want it on my newest laptop). I've been using it for over a year now on my 2-year old HP Omen laptop with great success.

Paul..
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by Paul.. » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:35 pm

curtvaughan wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:57 pm
The MX18 Live USB had no issue with that, though after installation, I still can't get MX to work correctly in using the NVIDIA card onboard (GTX 1060) - the screen just goes blank after boot with a blinking cursor. I understand that the latest MX18 release has some issues with NVIDIA drivers that dev's are aware of, but just an f.y.i.
Bring up MX Tools and then run the "Nvidia driver installer"...then reboot and that should do it.

Asus Prime X470-Pro | AMD Ryzen 5 1400 (8 threads)
16 Gig DDR4 3000 | nVidia - GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Samsung 970 NVMe SSD | 860 500GB SSD

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stevo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:00 pm

Does the Oryx use Optimus, or does it require those PopOS applets to switch the GPUs? The output of "System Information" would help.

It turns out we needed to also install virtualgl (plus virtualgl-libs:i386 for 64-bit) to get Bumblebee working on several test laptops, so the Nvidia Installer has been updated to add those.

There's been a request to also port over "nvidia-prime" from Ubuntu, but I think you need to boot with systemd to have that work.

curtvaughan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by curtvaughan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:05 pm

@stevo, The Oryx uses its power management utility "system76-power" to switch between Intel and NVIDIA GPUs. It is accessible by either the command line or graphically via Power Management pull down menu (battery icon accessible via top right pull down icon):

https://support.system76.com/articles/g ... witch-pop/

https://github.com/pop-os/system76-power

This appears to be a diversion/addition to the original Ubuntu base.

curtvaughan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by curtvaughan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:10 pm

Paul: Will try out your MX Tools suggestion later today. Thanks.

Return to “Installation”