Samba not wanted

When you run into problems installing MX Linux XFCE
barnaby

Samba not wanted

#1 Post by barnaby »

During my recent installation of MX 17.1 I unchecked the Samba box, because I don't want or need it. I have since noticed,

1. during a recent update, samba was showing as one of the items being updated.
2. when logging out I see the message that samba is shutting down.

Since I unchecked the samba box during installation I expected it to not be installed. Or am I missing something here?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Samba not wanted

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

barnaby wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:50 am During my recent installation of MX 17.1 I unchecked the Samba box, because I don't want or need it. I have since noticed,

1. during a recent update, samba was showing as one of the items being updated.
2. when logging out I see the message that samba is shutting down.

Since I unchecked the samba box during installation I expected it to not be installed. Or am I missing something here?
its installed, but it shouldn't be running.

at the moment its not removable without removing one of our other mx packages. That will likely change soon.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

barnaby

#3 Post by barnaby »

Thanks for the quick reply. As I said above, when logging out of MX at the end of a session I see the message that samba is shutting down. To me that suggests that it is running. In all my nearly 20 years with Linux I have never used samba, so I don't know anything about it. Is there a quick way to check if it is running, please, and if so is it easy to turn it off?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Code: Select all

sudo service smbd status

and if you want to disable it if it is running

sudo service smbd disable

barnaby

#5 Post by barnaby »

Thanks again. Simple really, except that it did not like disable, it wanted stop. I suppose that I will have to just ignore it until a possible change in MX in the future, as you mentioned above. It seems to be something about connecting to a Windows computer. I have had absolutely nothing to do with MS Windows for nearly 20 years now, and never intend to. So I just do not need anything to do with samba, unless it is doing something else that I am not aware of. It seems odd to me that it is automatically included and running after installation.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#6 Post by dolphin_oracle »

barnaby wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:31 am Thanks again. Simple really, except that it did not like disable, it wanted stop. I suppose that I will have to just ignore it until a possible change in MX in the future, as you mentioned above. It seems to be something about connecting to a Windows computer. I have had absolutely nothing to do with MS Windows for nearly 20 years now, and never intend to. So I just do not need anything to do with samba, unless it is doing something else that I am not aware of. It seems odd to me that it is automatically included and running after installation.
if you unchecked the box, it should have been disabled. will have to investigate that.

what didn't it like about disable? disable should keep it from starting the next time you reboot.

barnaby

#7 Post by barnaby »

When I tried to use disable I got the following message:
Usage: /etc/init.d/smbd {start|stop|reload|restart|force-reload|status}
To me that meant that disable was not available. So I used stop. Now I realise that is only for the current session. And sure enough, after a shut down and restart it is running again.
And, yes, I did most certainly check the box during installation to not have it included in the installation.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#8 Post by dolphin_oracle »

shoot I have you the wrong command for disable. you are correct on the "stop" usage

sudo update-rc.d smbd disable

Mauser

#9 Post by Mauser »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:10 am

sudo service smbd status

and if you want to disable it if it is running

sudo service smbd disable
I just checked and it says Samba is running. I removed the check out of the Samaba selection during installation. It shouldn't be running but it is. I ran the command to disable Samba and then the command to check that it's off but it still shows Samba is running. How do I permanently shutdown Samba or better yet remove it? I tried rebooting and now Samaba is off. :happy: I hope this Samba bug get's corrected in time for the MX-18 release.
Last edited by Mauser on Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

fehlix
Developer

#10 Post by fehlix »

barnaby wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:39 pm When I tried to use disable I got the following message:
Usage: /etc/init.d/smbd {start|stop|reload|restart|force-reload|status}
To me that meant that disable was not available. So I used stop. Now I realise that is only for the current session. And sure enough, after a shut down and restart it is running again.
On the command line to disable completely samba (and relatives)
Stop all if any is running:
Open terminal as normal user and run

sudo service samba stop
sudo service samba-ad-dc stop
+++ EDIT: added the 2nd missing stop :eek: +++
and remove any runlevel related start/stop-links (to tidy up the "mess"):

sudo update-rc.d samba remove
sudo update-rc.d samba-ad-dc remove
sudo update-rc.d smbd remove
sudo update-rc.d nmbd remove