Samba not wanted

When you run into problems installing MX Linux XFCE
JeffA

Re: Samba not wanted

#21 Post by JeffA »

colin_b wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:43 am I have dug around and I can't find a simple explanation of what Samba does. I am using MX on a home PC with no printer, is it relevant to my computer?
I don't know either. However I do have a printer that seems to work even after disabling SAMBA. So I'm thinking that it's not needed as we're not part of any network and don't share our computer or files.

I also changed a setting on my router to disable SAMBA with no effects noted.

I haven't seen any problems with SAMBA being enabled either, but I'm guessing it could be a potential security issue if nothing else?

In other words, I really don't know anything and hoping someone will give a more definitive answer. My instinct was to disable it, but the smart thing is probably to leave it alone until someone gives clearer instructions.

richb
Administrator

#22 Post by richb »

JeffA wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:39 pm
colin_b wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:43 am I have dug around and I can't find a simple explanation of what Samba does. I am using MX on a home PC with no printer, is it relevant to my computer?
I don't know either. However I do have a printer that seems to work even after disabling SAMBA. So I'm thinking that it's not needed as we're not part of any network and don't share our computer or files.

I also changed a setting on my router to disable SAMBA with no effects noted.

I haven't seen any problems with SAMBA being enabled either, but I'm guessing it could be a potential security issue if nothing else?

In other words, I really don't know anything and hoping someone will give a more definitive answer. My instinct was to disable it, but the smart thing is probably to leave it alone until someone gives clearer instructions.
I see no reason to disable it. If you do not configure and use it to share computers on a local network it is pretty much invisible to your computer.

https://www.samba.org/samba/what_is_samba.html
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

fehlix
Developer

#23 Post by fehlix »

Is this sufficient info:
Samba.org wrote:About Samba
Samba is the standard Windows interoperability suite of programs for Linux and Unix.

Samba is Free Software licensed under the GNU General Public License, the Samba project is a member of the Software Freedom Conservancy.

Since 1992, Samba has provided secure, stable and fast file and print services for all clients using the SMB/CIFS protocol, such as all versions of DOS and Windows, OS/2, Linux and many others.

Samba is an important component to seamlessly integrate Linux/Unix Servers and Desktops into Active Directory environments. It can function both as a domain controller or as a regular domain member.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

colin_b

#24 Post by colin_b »

fehlix wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:51 pm Is this sufficient info:
I read the above before I made my post and I was left scratching my head. I've had a dig around and I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTujwRSsIBw. It provides an explanation, and it is clear samba is something I will never use.
fehlix wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:14 pm But as mentioned above, the setup will be changed soon, so that the samba-package can be completely removed ( for those who don’t need, use or want it).
Stay tuned.
This will be handy :happy:

fehlix
Developer

#25 Post by fehlix »

colin_b wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:27 pm I read the above before I made my post and I was left scratching my head...
So better wait a bit until the de-install process will be easy ... ;)
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

colin_b

#26 Post by colin_b »

I'm waiting with bated breath.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#27 Post by dolphin_oracle »

colin_b wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:13 pm I'm waiting with bated breath.
its done, I think.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

figueroa

#28 Post by figueroa »

I took the plunge on my fully updated (except for today) and did:

Code: Select all

apt-get remove samba samba-common samba-libs
apt-get autoremove
I didn't see anything I couldn't for sure live without in the autoremove packages. I think samba and it's dependencies are now completely removed. It makes me happier.

Then I installed 50 updates. Checked around, everything seems to be normal even after reboot.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

dphn

#29 Post by dphn »

On my ISO-creation, building from ground up without all server/client stuff, the samba-libs package is installed as a dependency for other packages. It's safer to remove samba from the original MX-Version with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge samba-common system-config-samba
Last one is the GUI package, preinstalled on MX.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

Return to “Installation”