Keyboard problems

When you run into problems installing MX Linux XFCE
barnaby

Keyboard problems

#1 Post by barnaby »

I live in the UK. Recently I installed MX on a test laptop, because I am considering making it my main Linux distro. I think it is a great program, but I am having problems with the keyboard and region settings. When I was installing I entered my keyboard layout as UK English and the region as London. However, when I then moved on to setting up the user name and passwords I ran into a problem. The keyboard and region settings that I had just typed in were ignored. Eventually I worked out that the program was still considering that I had a US layout keyboard. I worked my way through this and eventually finished the installation. I am so pleased with the distro itself, but it is not recognising that I am in the UK. The situation is as follows:-

To log on, I need to enter the logon password, but as if I am using a US keyboard. Then, if I want to use a GUI package which needs a password, eg synaptic, it is just fine. It takes the root password, and knows that my keyboard is UK. So that is exactly correct. However, if I open up a terminal screen and need to use sudo for a command, then the program wants the logon password, (not the root password which is not recognised), and again thinks I am using a US keyboard. I am getting lost with all this.

Getting the keyboard layout and the region properly recognised is fundamental. I think that it should just work. I would really like to have MX as my main and only distro, it is so good, but I cannot manage like this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

fehlix
Developer

Re: Keyboard problems

#2 Post by fehlix »

I would probably setup both keyboards to be identical:
- the system wide default keyboard layout (used by root)
and
- the one used during the user session to avoid confusion:
You may try this command from the terminal command line to adjust the system wide defined keyboard:

Code: Select all

su-to-root -X -c "dpkg-reconfigure -fgnome keyboard-configuration"
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

On the login screen, look up into the right corner. Do you see a little "us"? Click on that to select the keyboard you want.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

fehlix
Developer

#4 Post by fehlix »

Jerry3904 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:52 pm On the login screen, look up into the right corner. Do you see a little "us"? Click on that to select the keyboard you want.
Good that you mention the login-screen: The default keyboard shown in the login screen, will default to the one which was choosen as system-wide with the command above after reboot.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

barnaby

#5 Post by barnaby »

Thanks for the replies so far. I have looked for the "us" at the login screen. I assume this shows that it is expecting a US keyboard. It does indeed list many keyboard settings. I have found several English ones, eg English Australia and English Canada, but so far cannot find one marked as "English-uk".

CaptainKirk

#6 Post by CaptainKirk »

You have to scroll a long way down, past about 100 entries, with no very logical order; you do eventually come to English-UK. If you click on that, you get 'gb' in the little box at the top of the screen, and after login the flag on the panel line turns into a Union Jack.
Chris
ASUS A88XM-Av; Dual core AMD A6-5400K APU, Radeon HD Graphics; 8 Gb RAM; 250 Gb, 320 Gb, 2 Tb, 650 Gb HDD; 250 Gb SSD
MX-19.1 64-Bit with XFCE4; MX-17 64-Bit with XFCE4

Toshiba Satellite R-10 101 laptop;
MX-19 32-Bit non-PAE XFCE4

Gordon Cooper

#7 Post by Gordon Cooper »

If you are well past the log-in procedure you can change the keyboard layout thus:

Main Menu > Settings > Keyboard > Layout > Click the + Add Tab then scroll down the long list, UK is well down. Then select.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

barnaby

#8 Post by barnaby »

Thanks for all the help. I have now changed "us" to "gb" in the login screen, and it now works as expected. When I open a GUI file that needs the root password, eg synaptic, it still works properly, as expected. When I am using the terminal screen and I need sudo it now knows that I have a UK layout keyboard, but still wants the login password, and not the proper root password. Odd, but at least it now works. I must try to remember all this when I install MX on to my main laptop and my desk top computers.

One comment. When I was installing first of all I was asked for the keyboard layout and the region, which I gave, but this was ignored. All previous logins with other distros have never had this problem. As soon as I gave the layout and the region it was picked up at once for the following installation screens and for all future logins. This seems to be a problem with MX. Otherwise a great distro.

Amielbr

#9 Post by Amielbr »

I am brazilian and my keyboard was detected as generic, I have in this fn button, the start button,alt gr button, the menu button somebody know how I configure it? My sistema is MxLinux 19.3.If u can help I will be pleased

Huckleberry Finn

#10 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

@Amielbr It would be better to open a new thread (with "Quick System Info" from Menu).

Till then: have you tried "System Keyboard" from Menu ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Installation”