News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-18 Final release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.3 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

I need more partitions!

Mich-C
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

I need more partitions!

Post by Mich-C » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:14 pm

GO DIRECTLY TO POST #11
Little Premise, What I' ve learn playing with Linux and partitions:
Installing Linux in dual boot alongside an already installed Windows often gives problem,
Installing Windows in dual boot alongiside and already installed Linux gives even more problems XD

mx.png
I have a laptop, I can boot both MX linux and Windows 7.
Grub is booted in Bios mode and it resides on the mbr (despite my computer could boot them also in uefi and hybrid-uefi mode but I didn't succeed :mad: )

The problem is that when I installed windows alongside Mx I had to switch my GPT disk to MBR (I' ve done this without losing data, it just created some little problems I solved, link if you're interested ;) ) ...

So now I can use just 4 partions and I absolutely need more partitions! at least one for the swap!
What should I do? Here's my ideas

1) Switch back to GPT: yes, Windows 7 refuses to install itself on a GPT disk, but maybe it can actually be booted from a GPT disk! Do you know if 7 is able to boot on GPT?
2) Stay with mbr: but I have to play with extended partitions (possibly without losing data) Can you guide me? I' ve never used extended partitions
3) Could I delete that boot partition? my grub resides just on the master boot record now

Thanks in advance, Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mich-C on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: I need more partitions!

Post by fehlix » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:35 pm

Mich-C wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:14 pm
Installing Linux in dual boot alongside an already installed Windows often gives problem,
Installing Windows in dual boot alongiside and already installed Linux gives even more problems XD
Not if you plan partitioning beforehand.
Your sda2 with 630 GB is a primary and you cannot create a further one.
So you partition layout is a bit unfortune.
MSDOS-partition table can only hold 4 primary partitions, one of them can be a extended partition(-container).
The extended partition can hold lot more logical partitions.
You can boot from MX Linux from logical partitons.

Do avoid problems: If you need to have WinOS, do always put it in to the first partitions, and all Linux Ext4 partions after those.
Any WinOS related partion before the linxu partitions. Otherwise any Windows update of the partition table might create issues
with your linux partitions as WinOS does not recocnise linux partitions.
I would do snapshot of MX Linux and repartition and install winOS and than MX Linux.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Mich-C
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Mich-C » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:00 pm

fehlix wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:35 pm
Your sda2 with 630 GB is a primary and you cannot create a further one.
MSDOS-partition table can only hold 4 primary partitions, one of them can be a extended partition(-container).
The extended partition can hold lot more logical partitions.
Thanks for the reply @fehlix yes, Windows7 can't see Linux partitions but a bootable Partitioning Tool can see both Linux and Windows partitions.
Could I covert dev/sda4 to primary and convert that big dev/sda2 to extended this way?

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by timkb4cq » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:04 pm

Your initial choices have made this difficult.

Windows 7 can only boot from a GPT partition if booting is through UEFI instead of MBR.

You can add more extended partitions, but you'll have to make contiguous room for them and most of your extra space is on sda2. So you would use gparted to shrink sda2, then when that has finished, expand sda3 into that empty space - this will take a while as it need to copy 30Gb of data.
You can then shrink sda3 to make space to expand sda4 into so there will finally be space in the extended partition to make new partitions.

Then you will then have to use a Windows 7 CD/DVD to to repair it's boot sector since its start point will have moved.
That will wipe out grub so you will then need to use an MX LiveUSB to reinstall/repair grub.

Obviously with this much manipulation, any important data should be backed up before beginning.

I know this can be done because I've had 17 partitions on an MBR style disk before, with an odd layout because I hadn't made the best choices either when I started - so I've been through this.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by timkb4cq » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:07 pm

Mich-C wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:00 pm
Could I covert dev/sda4 to primary and convert that big dev/sda2 to extended this way?
There is no way to convert an extended partition to a primary partition or vice versa without losing all the data. You have to remove the partition and remake it.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

Mich-C
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Mich-C » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Hi Tim many thanks for the reply! :)

Wait a moment
timkb4cq wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:04 pm
Windows 7 can only boot from a GPT partition if booting is through UEFI instead of MBR.
At this point the best solution would be
-convert my disk to GTP
-configuring a Grub according to my partition scheme and then simply start it hybrid-uefi or uefi mode to boot both the OSs.

So i could do everithing I want with my partition.
I just need someone who helps me creating a correct configuration file for my grub

P.S. I still have the same Mx linux version I installed on my pc on my pendrive, and also a live cd with Minitool

Mich-C
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Mich-C » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:16 pm

UPDATE: I' ve just realized we don't need to work a new grub configuration file, I just need someone who can help me to install grub on my ESP (efi system partition) AND THE JOB IS DONE!!!
Both Windows7 and Linux will be able to boot in uefi mode from this gpt disk!
And I'll solve any problem related to partitions
My ESP is here
esp.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by fehlix » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:10 pm

Mich-C wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:16 pm
UPDATE: I' ve just realized we don't need to work a new grub configuration file, I just need someone who can help me to install grub on my ESP (efi system partition) AND THE JOB IS DONE!!!
Both Windows7 and Linux will be able to boot in uefi mode from this gpt disk!
And I'll solve any problem related to partitions
My ESP is here
esp.png
Well, if UEFI is booting fine, you'll only need to boot from MX LiveUSB in UEFI mode and do run MX Boot Repair.
Within MX Boot Repair choose to "reinstall Grub loader" and choose ESP-Location and Boot-location (your MX Linux rootMX17 partition sda2) accordingly. MXBR will place it's generated grubx64.efi (Grub-core-image) into the ESP,
will generate a new grub.cfg (Grub menu) and also updates the NVRAM UEFI boot-table (UEFI Boot menu).

Mich-C
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Mich-C » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:56 pm

fehlix wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:10 pm
Well, if UEFI is booting fine, you'll only need to boot from MX LiveUSB in UEFI mode and do run MX Boot Repair.
Within MX Boot Repair choose to "reinstall Grub loader" and choose ESP-Location and Boot-location (your MX Linux rootMX17 partition sda2) accordingly. MXBR will place it's generated grubx64.efi (Grub-core-image) into the ESP,
will generate a new grub.cfg (Grub menu) and also updates the NVRAM UEFI boot-table (UEFI Boot menu).
Ok thank you for the instructions. I' ll let you know ;)
Does it change something if I boot the MX live USB in UEFI or in hybrid UEFI mode?

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by fehlix » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:08 pm

Mich-C wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:56 pm
Does it change something if I boot the MX live USB in UEFI or in hybrid UEFI mode?
Yes, hybrid UEFI mode is buggy :eek: .
Better choose pure UEFI, to make sure NVRAM entries are written.

Return to “Installation”